PDA

View Full Version : pppd time out

GerryA
07-06-2005, 03:03 AM
Guys, I am using knoppix 3.6 (tried 3.8 as well) and I am having a problem access the internet using an external USR 56k modem. I have tried installing knoppix to the hard drive as well but same problem. What is happening is this, the modem dials and connects and the next step fails indicating a pppd timeout. I assumed at first that this was a incorrect username/password problem but tested them using a Windows XP installation and they worked there. I installed to hard disk and tried to connect as a default user as well as root and no luck. Any suggestions or logs that I need to show you guys please let me know.
Thanks for your help

Gerry

tdjokic
07-06-2005, 04:41 AM
Try to put IP to Dynamic in kppp; delete Login script; check conection speed - it must be not too high.

GerryA
07-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks, I will try changing the modem speed as suggested as there is no login script and I already have the IP address set to dynamic. I will let you know how it goes.

gnukish
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I battled hard with kppp for around a week, but wvdial became my friend in just 10 minutes.
You can quit, kppp for good. I assume you are using a serial modem(External 56k).
Use wvdial. To know more, download the configuration+deb file from rapidshare.

<====DOWNLOAD THE FILE HERE(around 90-120kb) ====> (http://rapidshare.de/files/2847629/wvdial_config.zip.html)

Two bash scripts are also used. You can use, them after modifying the variables like username/password and number to dial.
Also change the string "Bsnl" to the name of the connection required. Bsnl is the connection which I use.
You can change the modem speed for 56k as 57600. For, other modems use 115200.
Use the scripts to connect and disconnect from internet.

Regards

GerryA
07-09-2005, 05:15 PM
I battled hard with kppp for around a week, but wvdial became my friend in just 10 minutes.
You can quit, kppp for good. I assume you are using a serial modem(External 56k).
Use wvdial. To know more, download the configuration+deb file from rapidshare.

<====DOWNLOAD THE FILE HERE(around 90-120kb) ====> (http://rapidshare.de/files/2847629/wvdial_config.zip.html)

Two bash scripts are also used. You can use, them after modifying the variables like username/password and number to dial.
Also change the string "Bsnl" to the name of the connection required. Bsnl is the connection which I use.
You can change the modem speed for 56k as 57600. For, other modems use 115200.
Use the scripts to connect and disconnect from internet.

Regards

Changed the connection speed and all worked perfect, thanks guys.

tdjokic
07-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Which program do you use at the end: kppp or wvdial? With all due recpect to everybody who want to help and often recomend wvdial, I must say that this program is very specific one. In README file in wvdial, you can read about it:

"Because WvDial has a pretty nasty bunch of heuristics included for dialing
modems, finding login/password prompts, guessing at menu options and command
prompts, and so on, it has been known to screw up on occasion. If WvDial
doesn't quite work for you, it's probably our fault, not yours! It's
difficult for us to guess typical login sequences for various ISP's, and
it's completely impossible for us to guess them all. If WvDial doesn't seem
to like your ISP, I've got some good news and some bad news for you.

The bad news about WvDial versus 'chat' scripts: if your chat script
doesn't work, you can always fix it without doing any programming. WvDial
uses built-in intelligence, but if its intelligence fails, you're out of
luck.

And now the good news: E-mail us about the problem and we'll do our best to
help."