PDA

View Full Version : Problem with K3B (or cdrecord) on Knoppix 4

lewisdw
07-06-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm running the Knoppix 4 live DVD and trying to burn a cd-r with K3B. K3B reports the following when I try to burn - Probably a buffer underrun occurred & Please choose a lower burning speed. I've done that, going from 32x all the way to 2x. The error comes up immediately, before K3B ever touches the cd-r. Here's the debugging output:

Devices
-----------------------
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B 1.00 (/dev/hdd, ) at /cdrom1 [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]
TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R5272 1030 (/dev/hdc, ) at /cdrom [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; RAW/R96R]

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.11.20
KDE Version: 3.4.1
QT Version: 3.3.4
Kernel: 2.6.11

cdrecord
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.11
/usr/bin/cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
devname: '/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Error: Cannot gain SYS_RAWIO capability.Is cdrecord installed SUID root?
: Operation not permitted
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg (ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c 1.91 04/06/17 Copyright 1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
SCSI buffer size: 64512
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. Cannot get SCSI I/O buffer.
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
Driveropts: 'burnfree'

cdrecord comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord.mmap -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdc speed=32 -tao -dummy driveropts=burnfree -eject -data -tsize=24982s -

mkisofs
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs: Connection reset by peer. cannot fwrite 32768*1

mkisofs comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid K3b data project -volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.20 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher -preparer K3b - Version 0.11.20 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-knoppix/k3bO02OVb.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-knoppix/k3bcWz9fa.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-knoppix/k3bkX9zQb.tmp /home/knoppix/.kde/share/apps/k3b/temp/dummydir0/

---------------------------------------

Any help is appreciated.

Emanuel1234
07-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Can someone help him I'm having the exact same prob.

greybeard
08-11-2005, 03:19 AM
I'm a knoppix newbie, so overlook the lack of precision in terminology.

A workaround identified for 3.9 by Lemming2 in this same forum General Support on Jun 20, 2005 at 9:12 pm also works for 4.0

The problem is with the implementation of CDRecorder.

You can understand the problem if you run the default settings for K3b but uncheck the "on the fly" option, uncheck the "remove image" option, and change the image file name to remove the embedded spaces. Now click burn. It will still fail just as you observed before.

Open the K3b debugger output. Locate the cdrecord command string.

Now open a root shell and enter the exact command. The burn will work sucessfully!

Don't know enough to be able to use this observation to fix the fundamental problem. Hopeful this post will help others

Harry Kuhman
08-11-2005, 03:45 AM
Can someone help him I'm having the exact same prob.
Since you're having the exact same problem, why not just follow the discussion in this thread? Are you under the impression that we are holding back on helping the other guy, but if you make the above post we'll relent and help you?