PDA

View Full Version : Help with partimage please

alastair lewis
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
I have been trying to use partimage from knoppix to back-up the ubuntu installation on my laptop (/hda2 to the home partition /hda3).
I type in a terminal the following
'sudo partimage -z2 save /dev/hda2 /mnt/hd3/ubuntu.partimg.bz2'

I can F5 through the partimage windows until the end where I get the error message "cannot create temp file on [/mnt/hda3], please check that you have room and access rights."

'df' tells me that /hda3 has 13GB of free space
'ls -l /mnt' tells me that /hda3 belongs to root with rwx access for root

If I open a root terminal the end result is the same.

'sudo partimage -z2 save /dev/hda2 ubuntu.partimg.bz2' starts the whole process with the image file going into /knoppix/home. This unfortunately is far too small for the resulting file.

Can anyone help?

Dave_Bechtel
07-08-2005, 06:16 PM
The filesystem on /mnt/hda3 should not be NTFS; is it?

Also, it's best to use a native Linux filesystem to store backup files (like ext3 or reiserfs ) instead of Fat32, because Fat32 has a 2GB filesize limitation.

Post results of " mount "

I have been trying to use partimage from knoppix to back-up the ubuntu installation on my laptop (/hda2 to the home partition /hda3).
I type in a terminal the following
'sudo partimage -z2 save /dev/hda2 /mnt/hd3/ubuntu.partimg.bz2'

I can F5 through the partimage windows until the end where I get the error message "cannot create temp file on [/mnt/hda3], please check that you have room and access rights."

'df' tells me that /hda3 has 13GB of free space
'ls -l /mnt' tells me that /hda3 belongs to root with rwx access for root

If I open a root terminal the end result is the same.

'sudo partimage -z2 save /dev/hda2 ubuntu.partimg.bz2' starts the whole process with the image file going into /knoppix/home. This unfortunately is far too small for the resulting file.

Can anyone help?