PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.9 strange installer bug?

d00m3d
07-06-2005, 06:05 PM
To install Knoppix into HDD, boot the Knoppix LiveCD and then run the knoppix-installer script is the most straight forward way.

In the past, I mean pre-3.8 releases, I can run this script under a root shell and finish the whole installation without any troubles. However, in 3.9, if I run it under a root shell, everything seems fine until I choose "Start installation" -> "- debian: Debian-like system (recommended)". The installer drops me to a "Usage for Xdialog" message box. When I try to click "next" in order to continue the installation, it eventually quit the installation for no reasons.

Alternatively, if I run this script as knoppix (a normal user) by issuing "sudo knoppix-installer" at the shell prompt, then everything goes smoothly.

Does any one have the same experience?

UnderScore
07-06-2005, 06:45 PM
su & sudo functionality has been slightly altered in version 3.8.0 and up. In practically all cases, the user will never know anything has changed. I ran into a small issue with sudo when I tried to remaster 3.8 and I believe that the knoppix-installer script is one of those exceptions. I have re-written the HD Install HowTo http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo to indicate that it should be run from a normal user shell, and not the root-shell.

napatec
11-01-2005, 04:09 AM
I have done everything in these instructions to get 3.9 to install to the drive and it still sends me into the xdialog, when I click continue it goes back to the console and that's it. then I would have to start all over again with the same results.

I have met all the requirements, I used QTparted to partition 3gb (set active), and a 512 linux swap space partition.

It keeps saying the requirments have not been met.??????????

Has anyone done a sucessful 3.9 hard drive install???

d00m3d
11-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Has anyone done a sucessful 3.9 hard drive install???
What I did is simply boot the CD, as knoppix (a normal user), and then issue "sudo knoppix-installer" at the terminal prompt.

napatec
11-01-2005, 11:53 AM
thanks,

I did it both ways, from root and as knoppix user and it always ended up at the xdialog. I wish I knew what I was supposed to do with the xdialog, what it's purpose was.

The next thing I tried was to download version 4.0.2 cd , it does the same thing when installing as root or knoppix user.

On the third day ( tonight ) I gave up and decided to install a real linux ( debian sarge 3.1 ) it installed perfectly, updated all it's packages etc.

However on reboot I can only login at the text console, I can't figure out how to start a window gui. I have read about six hours of documentation and posted to the debian forum.

Now I am downloading a different distro to try. I have worked with computers since 1989 starting with macs then went to pc when windows 3.1 was released. I have used the knoppix live cds for years but this is the first attempt at a real install.

I see why so many still use windows, I am trying to get all my customers off of windows but I look pretty stupid cause I can't even do it myself. I have about a week into getting it to run from the hard drive with nothing but wasted time to show for it. Here it is 3am again

Markus
11-01-2005, 12:00 PM
On the third day ( tonight ) I gave up and decided to install a real linux ( debian sarge 3.1 ) it installed perfectly, updated all it's packages etc. Good choise.

However on reboot I can only login at the text console, I can't figure out how to start a window gui. I have read about six hours of documentation and posted to the debian forum. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224547
If startx doesn't work, install a login manager, like "apt-get install gdm" although you probably get xdm with installation of x. startx also tells you the errors if any. Also look in ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/XFree86.0.log