PDA

View Full Version : how do i start the FTP server?

johnsmith01
07-06-2005, 11:52 PM
knoppix had a built-in FTP server , how do i start the service , i'm running knoppix 3.9 is there a FTP server still ? if not where can i get one ?

UnderScore
07-07-2005, 12:05 AM
This is listed in the http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/FTP_FAQ
I have not tested it and can not say if it works.

johnsmith01
07-07-2005, 12:14 AM
hmmm thanks for the link , i did what it says , but how can i start the service i mean should it start automatically?

UnderScore
07-07-2005, 12:20 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87359#87359

johnsmith01
07-07-2005, 12:28 AM
i meant that the thing isn't working , it says that i can't connect ? i did what the FAQ said but nothing is workiung i have a 3.9 HDD install does that affect ?

Harry Kuhman
07-07-2005, 12:33 AM
i have a HDD install does that affect ?Why even ask that question and expect someone else to provide an answer when you could boot the CD and do a simple test to know the answer for certain?

johnsmith01
07-07-2005, 12:36 AM
i have a HDD install does that affect ?Why even ask that question and expect someone else to provide an answer when you could boot the CD and do a simple test to know the answer for certain? sorry i didn't put the 3.9 what i meant was that if my version didn't have it anymore :shock:
by the way why would i want to boot the cd if i have knoppix installed ?

UnderScore
07-07-2005, 12:46 AM
You asked "how can i start the service i mean should it start automatically?", the link I posted explains runlevels and how to make services run upon bootup.

As for getting FTP server to work, here is the steps from the FAQ.
What I do is delete the symlink and restart inetd.conf Here are the necessary steps:

* Configure networking from the menu
* Open a console and set a password for user knoppix:
o passwd knoppix
* Open a root shell and do:
o rm /etc/hosts.deny
o rm /etc/hosts.allow
o /etc/init.d/inetd restart

Now the ftp server is ready and from any client you can ftp to knoppix system, use 'knoppix' as user name and the password you set as password. I just used the Knoppix 3.8.2 CD on 1 machine and used WindowsXP on another and it worked.

Now getting FTP server to work on a HD install, well it is going to be more difficult. The hosts.allow & hosts.deny files are quite important and do NOT want to delete those. I would suggest commenting all the line out using '#'.

As for "why would i want to boot the cd if i have knoppix installed ?", because a Knoppix HD install can be unstable and is very difficult to support/administrate. System stability & ease of use/administration of a Knoppix HD install has been discussed in depth at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87176#87176. Read that & find out why many of us do not recommend a HD installation.

johnsmith01
07-07-2005, 12:46 AM
i see well i deleted them , but i made a copy :D

i better change to SUSE or Red hat , everytime i come here to get my question answered all i get it's confusing answers and problems about Knoppix

UnderScore
07-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Its not that it is confusing. You have to recognize what a tool is good for and what a tool is not good for, hence the phrase "When all you have is a hammer, everthing looks like a nail". Knoppix is just not designed to be installed. The reason we seem to shouting this is because if we don't then incoming new users will think it is OK to use a hammer to paint a wall or use a hammer as a screwdriver when there are better & easier tools to acomplish a task.

johnsmith01
07-07-2005, 03:59 AM
:P that's a pretty cool way to say it , thanks for the help , after all you are trying to be really helpful , so i guess i just need another distro, can you recommend one?

UnderScore
07-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Thanks for noticing that I am trying to help.
I want to give people the best & least frustrating Linux experience I can. If in the end they choose to not use Linux, then so be it. But at least I know that I gave it the my best.

Can I give you a suggestion? Sure. All distros have their good & bad points, but in the end the determining factor is you.

What do you need or want to to do with linux? Do you want a server? Do you want a desktop? Do you want a distro that is multi purpose & can be both server & desktop? Do you want it to be really easy & have everything to be done for you? Are you okay with it being slightly difficult? Are you okay with it being quite involved (both time & experience)? How much do you wish to learn? Do you wish to really learn a whole lot? Do you want to do real work with it, as in you are not looking for a toy? Do you want a toy like distro, something to play or experiment with?

Please provide any other details as to your goal/wishes/desires and your experience level.

See also these two articles that deal with choosing a distro.
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/159
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/160

johnsmith01
07-07-2005, 09:51 AM
yay i solved the problem , it seemed that there was not FTPD , so i did apt-get install Wu-ftpd
then i configured it to run as a stand alone daemon , and started it /etc/init.d/wu-ftpd start and now all is set up , all i need to do is fix some stuff

i want a lear a lot , but on the other part i wan't something i can experiment with , and it's fun to use , and can use it as a desktop, i want something multi-purpose and something that can be autoconfigured , so i don't have to put a lot of time into it

BTW thanks a lot!