PDA

View Full Version : ?? On Results of a HD Install

KB8GT
07-07-2005, 12:37 AM
I have two hard drives - plan is to leave Windows XP on the 80GB and install Knoppix on the 4GB second hard drive.

Given that I follow the instrutions well in "Hd Install How To", and all goes OK, will I end up with the following ?

1. A Dual Boot Box with Windows XP and Knoppix - the dual boot manager will most likely be LILO or Grub ?

2. When in Knoppix mode I will NOT be able to write to Windows hard drive, however I will be able to read from that drive ?

3. When running Knoppix, I will be able to read and write to the Knoppix drive. ?

4. When runnig Window XP I will be able to read and write to both drives. ?

During the installation process - when and how is the choice between 'Type of Installation' made ? As I plan to use Knoppix as a learning curve: Down the line I plan to get Debian along with a larger second drive. Thus, choosing the 'Debian Type' should inhance the learning process.

Thank You
Larry

UnderScore
07-07-2005, 12:55 AM
1. A Dual Boot Box with Windows XP and Knoppix - the dual boot manager will most likely be LILO or Grub ?
I think Knoppix verisions 3.8.0 & up use grub.

2. When in Knoppix mode I will NOT be able to write to Windows hard drive, however I will be able to read from that drive ? Knoppix (linux) can read/write to FAT16 & FAT32 partitions perfectly. If you want to share files between the Linux & windows, then a FAT32 partition is the way to go. As for NTFS, How can I write data on NTFS partitions? (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Using_FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_write_data_on_NTFS_partitio ns.3F).

3. When running Knoppix, I will be able to read and write to the Knoppix drive. ?Yes

4. When runnig Window XP I will be able to read and write to both drives. ?Nope, Microsoft does not support Linux filesystem. Why? I have no idea since ANYONE can download & examine the code for filesystems, you would think it would be is MS's best interest to be interoperable across OSs, but that is not the case.

During the installation process - when and how is the choice between 'Type of Installation' made ? As I plan to use Knoppix as a learning curve: Down the line I plan to get Debian along with a larger second drive. Thus, choosing the 'Debian Type' should inhance the learning process.The Knoppix installation is practically identical to running from CD, except that you can write & store info on the HD. Most user tasks stay the same & are very simple, but if you want to add/remove/update programs or perform some advanced changes, then the Knoppix install will hold you back.