PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8 and /usr/src files

mjm
07-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi guys,

I have installed linux 3.8. I like it but I find that the /usr/src/linux2.6.11 directory is completely empty.

Can I obtain a iso image of Knoppix Linux 3.8 that has all of the source files already pre installed?

If so where ?

2. If I can 't what is the easiest way to get the source files in the directory with the corresponding modules.

I am trying to install other software and I get an error says that it can't find the /usr/src files and sure enough they are missing.

3. Is there a version of knoppix source file that does have the kernel sources included..

Please help.
Thanks
Marcias

fingers99
07-07-2005, 06:58 PM
I am trying to install other software and I get an error says that it can't find the /usr/src files and sure enough they are missing.

Are you trying to build programs from source?

It's an interesting exercise, but it's very seldom needed on Debian (which is, essentially, what a HD install of Knoppix is).

Try this:

connect to the Internet.

su to root and do:

apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic && exit

You can now use synaptic to find the source files you need (if you insist on installing stuff from source) --- you certainly won't need the source of everything! Or better, you can almost certainly install the program you want through synaptic (just use the search tool).

mjm
07-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi
Thnaks for the response. The main purpose is that I am trying to install a VOIP server. I have been running one using a version of linux called Asterisk@home (VOIP server). Unfortunately there are some things I cant do with asterisk at home and I am returning to installing asterisk in a linux platform and re-configuring it. In order to install Asterisk I need to install zaptel and libpri both which requrie files in the /usr/srv/linux2.6.11 directory.

I am in the process of trying to do yor recommendation at this time.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

Marcias