PDA

View Full Version : Locked Out By Gnome Screensaver After 20 Minutes

cookingout
07-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

Since there are so many desktops to choose from, today I decided to boot my Knoppix 4.0 DVD into Gnome instead of the default KDE desktop. After being away from my desk for a while the screensaver locked me out. It requested a password to disable the screensaver and I did not have one it liked. The only work around I know is to uncheck the "Lock Screen After" (20 minutes by default) box as soon as you boot up. If you forget? Well tough luck! Any other work arounds anyone? :?

UnderScore
07-07-2005, 09:10 PM
"All passwords are locked by default." The Knoppix developers did this on purpose to prevent many attacks & exploits from even attempting to harm your running Knoppix system.

So this means the GNOME problem you ran into will occur everytime you reboot unless you either uncheck require password or first set a password. To set a password. In a command line prompt, become the root user:
su -
Then set the user 'knoppix' password:
passwd knoppix
If you so desire you can set root user's passwd:
passwd
Then type exit to escape from root user:
exit
If you attempt to set/change the passwd, it looks like nothing is happening but it is infact recognizing your keystrokes as the password but will not display any characters to the screen.

cookingout
07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I knew Knoppix did not require a password to become root by default, but I had never gotten into a situation that it requested a password.