PDA

View Full Version : rt2500 wlan driver and SMP kernel

ketilfroyn
07-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Hi,

I have a Ralink 2500 PCI wlan interface. The driver for this, rt2500, does not support SMP kernels. Every time I try to configure the wlan, the computer freezes hard with no error messages anywhere. I've discovered that these are the expected symptoms for this problem.

So, how can I boot knoppix without SMP? Do I have to rebuild the kernel without SMP support? I don't think there's a nosmp parameter during boot, and I can't find a non-SMP kernel on the CD. Too bad, I think it would have been worth the 1MB of space, this is probably not the only case where SMP causes some unstability somehow, so it would be useful to disable (if it's not already possible!).

Cheers,
Ketil

UnderScore
07-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Knoppix boots with a splash screen. At that splash screen you can enter codes which will force Knoppix to do certan things. Theses codes are known as Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes). The one you need is nosmp, and you will boot the PC with:
knoppix nosmp

Parcye
08-13-2005, 01:58 AM
I have the same request but I have a HDD install... how can I then do the no smp?

UnderScore
08-13-2005, 02:35 AM
As root user, edit the /boot/grub/menu.list file.

Find the default boot entry which is usually the first one. You may see a section like:
title Debian GNU/Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet fromhd=/dev/null bootfrom=/dev/hda1/*.iso config=scan home=scan noprompt
initrd /boot/initrdYou must add the nosmp to the end of that kernel line.
Then save it & reboot.
It should boot with nosmp by default.