PDA

View Full Version : pinging

sunnmoon
07-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Dear all,

I have ato PC's connected to internet via DSL , both r geographically apart. now i want to interconnect the two, is it possible.

Now both of the systems have private ip assigned by my service provider, and the same will be assigned some public address in the service providers gateway. Is there any software to know the public ip assigned to both of my PCs.

Then can i ping both of the systems using the public ip assigned

Kindly help

regards

Zundu

Harry Kuhman
07-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Do you use a router? (If not, shame on you, resolve that right away.)

There are services like dyndns.org (http://www.dyndns.com/) that will help you track dynamic IP addresses and provide you a URL that will always point to the dynamic ip address even if it changes. Dyndns.ogr is free for the small user (up to 5 free addesses per account), some similar services do charge a small fee.

This is very handy. I can give friends a URL for my ftp server, for example, and they can put it in their FTP client as a URL rather than as an IP address. If and when my IP address does change, I don't have to tell them anything and they don't make any changes, it still works thanks to dyndns.org's name servers.

If you have a router, many current routers have support for dyndns.org and/or similar services built right in. When the IP address assigned by the ISP is changed they notify the url service provider for you so that the record is updated.

If you do not have a router you can run simple clients on the computers that will do this job also. But the clients always have to be running. And there are plenty of other good reasons for always using a router on a high speed connection, not the least of which is the hardware firewall (software firewalls are useless against some exploits). If you do have a hardware filewall, be sure that it is properly configured to let the ports you are interested in pass through. And be aware that some ISPs do block some ports, including the Microsoft File Sharing ports, so depending on your ISP you may not be able to share resources even with a dynamic URL. If you can do it now by IP address then a dynamic URL will help you track that dynamic IP address assigned, but if the ISP is blocking ports to your IP address then dyndns.org isn't going to do anything to change that.