PDA

View Full Version : SGI O2 and Octane

MouncleG
07-09-2005, 12:17 AM
I own an O2 and an Octane. Having problems booting knoppix, gives me a "header invalid" message. Can any one help?

Harry Kuhman
07-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Knoppix is targeted for i386 and upwards compatable CPUs including the AMD. To my knowledge the Octane contains a RISC R12000 and the O2 contains a R10000. Do you have any reason to expect Knoppix to run on it? Do you run other software designed to be booted on a PC on those systems? Or, giving in to my more sarcastic nature, have you tried booting the Knoppix CD in your microwave?

MouncleG
07-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Well pardon me. As Knoppix is based on Linux, I did expect to have it work on my machine. I was told there would be helpful people here, obviously a wrong assesment.

Harry Kuhman
07-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Well pardon me. As Knoppix is based on Linux, I did expect to have it work on my machine. I was told there would be helpful people here, obviously a wrong assesment.
Well, that's rather harsh. I though I did try to help you. It's hardly my fault that Knoppix doesn't boot on an SGI workstation with a different CPU. And you have an SGI Workstation, not a MAC or another common computer. Maybe I'm dead wrong here, but I rather expect people who drive a Ferrarii to know it takes premium gas, and I expect people with SGI workstations to have an understanding that it has a different CPU in it that more mainstream systems and be able to draw a conclusion about that when they find that a CD made for use on PC does not boot. But I explained it anyway. I did make a joke about it, but I though I did it in a way that made it quite clear I was joking around.

In what way did my response provide any less help than I otherwise could have?

While Knoppix is a Live CD made for PC type systems, you seem to have identified the solution yourself. Knoppix is a Linux release based on Debian Linux. Why not download a Debian CD (the version intended for your hardware) and install Linux from that?