PDA

View Full Version : Cannot delete files with Knoppix!

Tetsuro
07-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Please I just booted the Live CD but I'm unable to delete files on Fat32 partitions... WHY? :( :( :(

UnderScore
07-09-2005, 05:24 PM
See Using FAQ (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Using_FAQ#Q:_I_see_the_partitions_from_my_hard_dis k_on_the_desktop_and_can_access_their_contents_whe n_I_click_on_them.2C_but_if_I_try_to_write_to_them _I_always_get_the_error_message_.22access_denied.2 2._How_can_I_write_to_my_existing_partitions.3F)

Tetsuro
07-09-2005, 05:57 PM
I've done what it said, changed the read only thing in Properties but still i cannot delete files on windows partionion *fat32*.

foamrotreturns
07-09-2005, 06:24 PM
I've done what it said, changed the read only thing in Properties but still i cannot delete files on windows partionion *fat32*.
Are you sure that it's fat32? Did you mount the drive using mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1?
Did you add permissions to change all the files on that drive with chmod -R 777 /mnt/hda1?

Dave_Bechtel
07-09-2005, 08:07 PM
--You can't change permissions effectively on fat32 filesystems with chmod - it causes unpredictable results. Try changing a vfat file to 600 and you'll see what I mean.

--Fat32 file permissions are instead controlled by the mount command ( see ' man mount '. )

/dev/hde8 on /mnt/drivef type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1001)

--This drive is assigned with uid=1001 (my non-root login ) as the "owner."

Here's the fstab entry for that drive:

/dev/hde8 /mnt/drivef vfat defaults,users,noexec,noatime,uid=dave,rw 0 0

--Note that the owner will revert when the drive is umounted:

la /mnt

drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 472 Jun 5 23:23 bkps
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 384 Jun 5 23:55 bkps2
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 352 Jun 5 23:58 bkps3
drwxr--r-- 8 dave root 8192 Dec 31 1969 cdtemp
drwxr--r-- 40 dave root 8192 Dec 31 1969 drived
drwxr--r-- 17 dave root 8192 Dec 31 1969 drivef

umount /mnt/drived
la /mnt/drived

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 72 May 21 21:32 drived

--Quick (and safe) solution to delete files:

o Switch to root console ( Ctrl-Alt-F1 ) and enter ' mc '
o cd to the directory you want
o Mark files with Insert, or just set the cursor on a directory
o Hit F8 to delete them.

( The "grey plus" key on the numeric keypad will mark all files in a directory except subdirs; " Grey - " will unmark them. )

--I **never** use bare " rm " to delete directories; always use mc or another filemanager. In doing this, you avoid the most regrettable *nix admin's lament: " I accidentally just trashed my filesystem! " (There are stories all over the Internet about this... It's the #1 trap to fall into. DD is another matter however... But that is a story for another day. ;-)

o DON'T USE RM AS ROOT:
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Rm

Are you sure that it's fat32? Did you mount the drive using mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1?
Did you add permissions to change all the files on that drive with chmod -R 777 /mnt/hda1?