PDA

View Full Version : Booting Problem with my laptop(Acer Aspire 1692ELMi)

Yuanlong
07-10-2005, 05:00 AM
I've just download the knoppix 3.9 yesterday and burn the image into a cd today. But when I try to boot it from disc, it only able to reach until the loading kernal part. After that, I just got a blank screen and everything is not running at all. All my disc drive, hdd are not running.
Is there anything different that I'll need to boot up in a laptop?

rwcitek
07-13-2005, 02:18 PM
I've just download the knoppix 3.9 yesterday and burn the image into a cd today. But when I try to boot it from disc, it only able to reach until the loading kernal part. After that, I just got a blank screen and everything is not running at all. All my disc drive, hdd are not running.
Try this:

boot: knoppix vga=normal nodma noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off noapm debug -b 3

If that doesn't work, try this:

boot: failsafe debug -b 3

You can then whittle away the options to find the minimal set you need to boot your laptop.

Let us know what works.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/

Undy
07-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Try this:

boot: knoppix vga=normal nodma noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off noapm debug -b 3

If that doesn't work, try this:

You can then whittle away the options to find the minimal set you need to boot your laptop.

Let us know what works.

Regards,
- Robert

Robert,

Thanks for taking the time to post a solution.

I had the same problem. The first command set above resulted in something that looked like a distorted, large bar code appearing on my screen. It refreshed slowly down the screen every 10 seconds or so. I let that go for a few minutes but then hit the power off.

The second command set was more promising. I got through a few "exits" and a Control-D. I then got a command line that said "root@tty1[/]". I googled this and found that I had to type "su" and hit enter. I got the same "root@tty1[/]" and then typed "startx" and hit enter. That got me into Knoppix.

However, my touchpad was all screwed up. I've rebooted a couple of times and don't really know how I did it but now the mouse is working......that probably doesn't help anyone who is reading this but hey, at least I can use my mouse now! :P

Stephen

rwcitek
07-15-2005, 09:12 PM
I had the same problem. The first command set above resulted in something that looked like a distorted, large bar code appearing on my screen. It refreshed slowly down the screen every 10 seconds or so. I let that go for a few minutes but then hit the power off.
Interesting. So you never got to a shell prompt?

The second command set was more promising. I got through a few "exits" and a Control-D. I then got a command line that said "root@tty1[/]". I googled this and found that I had to type "su" and hit enter. I got the same "root@tty1[/]" and then typed "startx" and hit enter. That got me into Knoppix.
More correctly, you started the X11, the windowing system. You've been in "Knoppix" from the time you hit the Enter key at the boot prompt. :)

BTW, you probably want to enter graphics mode by typing 'init 5' instead of 'startx'.

However, my touchpad was all screwed up. I've rebooted a couple of times and don't really know how I did it but now the mouse is working......that probably doesn't help anyone who is reading this but hey, at least I can use my mouse now!
No doubt. "failsafe" uses a bunch of cheatcodes to turn a lot of things off, so I'm surprised your mouse works at all. The trick is to find the minimal set of cheatcodes you need to make things work. Have a look at the wiki page for a list of the cheatcodes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Kernels) each of the various kernel labels uses.

Regards,
- Robert