PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix DHCP help needed !

Sitting Bull
04-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi,

I'm using 04.15 Knoppix from CdRom.
Everything boots fine, eth0 mentionned during boot and ipconfig gives MAC.

However my DHCP/DNS isn't found, so network isn't available.

I tried :
pump -i eth0
modconf
netcardconfig

What am I doing wrong ? Where can I specify the lan-ip-range/mask to be used ? (remember I'm using knoppix from CdRom)

Thanks

SB

Sitting Bull
04-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Found partly solution :

Removing and re-installing followed by pump -i eth0 solves the problem.

However, even after saving this new config to floppy, at next reboot the problem is back (even when rebooting with nodhcp)

When doing agin modconf, at re-install, it shows the values saved on the floppy.

Why doesn't Knoppix manage to get the eth0 started correctly ?

Thanks

SB

Stephen
04-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Have you tried using static settings if your ISP allows you to use them I have not had any problems with either dhcp or static settings so it could be problems with your connection.

It could be the lease you got before you rebooted to knoppix. ie. You already had obtained a dhcp connection reboot and knoppix tries to get a dhcp connection and your ISP already thinks you are still connected through the old connection that has not expired.

Sitting Bull
04-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Hi, thx for replying

I'm using my own DHCP-server, and don't have any problems with other os's (Linux, Win$, ...) connecting and I am re-using non-expired (dynamic) leases all the time.

I'm more thinking about the default settings used by the network-driver during Bootup. The networkcard I'm using has 3 connections (Utp, Bnc, AUI) and it might well be the wrong one used during boot.

But I asume this can't be changed as I'm booting from CdRom ?

Kind regards

SB

Stephen
04-19-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm more thinking about the default settings used by the network-driver during Bootup. The networkcard I'm using has 3 connections (Utp, Bnc, AUI) and it might well be the wrong one used during boot.

But I asume this can't be changed as I'm booting from CdRom ?

I think you are probably right you could file a bug (http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/) on the package, that way someone could look into the problem and maybe solve it.

RockMumbles
04-20-2003, 02:06 AM
What kind of NIC?

and what kind of dhcp server?

rock

Sitting Bull
04-20-2003, 08:36 AM
NIC : 3com 3c900B-COMBO with UTP BNC AUI
DHCP-server : Wingate-proxy

On the same hardware used for Knoppix, this combination works with other os'es like Linux Win$ .... Of course, in those cases settings (port used) are saved to HD, but as far I remember, autosense made the nic/lan working automatically.

Harry Kuhman
04-29-2003, 02:15 AM
Please see the threads I posted under Evidence WinXP "security updates" may break Linux and Knoppix using NatSemi DP83815 stopped working and see if it looks like what has happened to you too. I suspect this was deliberately done to you by Microsoft, but if you post back that the system you are using has not run Windows since you started using Knopix then I'm wrong and it would be helpful to know that.