PDA

View Full Version : Aspell, Ispell I can't spell

randcoop
07-11-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm using Kanotix Live CD and have tried to get aspell or ispell working so that Kmail will do spell checks on my email. First, I just used unionfs cheat, and each time I booted I had to apt-get install the ispell or aspell. But it worked! Then, used the unionrw=/mnt/sda1/union cheat. And then when I ran apt-get install on ispell or aspell-bin, they installed to the union /usr/bin directory. But that didn't work, because then kmail said that the path must be wrong, but it couldn't start ispell or aspell.

So then I tried to install aspell-bin and the required lib using klik. And two cmg files were created. But they don't seem to do anything and running them doesn't help, because aspell is supposed to be invoked by kmail, I guess (and not as a standalone program).

Is there a way to get kmail to use the klik version of aspell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dwombat
07-14-2005, 10:50 AM
randcoop,
If you are not partial to one mail program,Klik Sylpheed-claws.I have it and it has a spell checker built into it and works with out a hitch.This mail program is about three times faster than any of the others I have tried and it is only about 7.8MB in size.I have a hard drive install of mepis and use Thunderbird on it,which has the worst spell checker I have ever seen,so I use Sylpheed.cmg most of the time.Now I must mention Syplheed does not have a spell checker but Sylpheed-claws does and also has a lot of plugins for it,give her a try,Dennis

randcoop
07-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the advice on sylpheed-claw. I'm not opposed to trying that program. Can I point sylpheed to the kmail folders that I use and have it see the mail that already exists?

dwombat
07-14-2005, 07:21 PM
randcoop,
If you are on alive cd,and have those folders saved,just email them to yourself and fire up Sylpheed before Kmail and it will get you mail,now if you are using a web based email like all of us do ,make sure you set sylpheed to leave messages on the server,that way you never loose them and you can sort them into folders on the server.I hope this answers your question.I am not a linux guru,and hope I understood what you were asking,Dennis

randcoop
07-14-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm working on it. What I'm doing is using a USB hard drive with a LiveCD. Kmail identifies the folders where mail is stored in the kmailrc file. So I edited that file to point Kmail to folders that are located on the USB drive.

I've since found out that Sylphfeed can't read maildir directories; it can only read (or import) mbox files (maildir directories store the mail files in a different format than mbox; mbox files are individual message files). Your solution (to email the messages to myself and then run Sylphfeed would work, I think, but it would take a while with a lot of messages.

I don't use web mail as my primary email system.

As I said, I'm working on it. Certainly the Slyphfeed-claws Klik program is working perfectly and spell checker in it works great. I've just got to figure out how to move my messages into its system.

probono
07-16-2005, 11:22 AM
As you said earlier, klik is designed to install standalone applications.

But there is still a way to make aspell work with kmail and klik (I didn't test it, but it should work):

1. klik aspell-bin
2. Edit /tmp/klik/aspell-bin_VERSION/wrapper

Change the line
$KONSOLE $BINARY "$@"
to
kmail

Then run /tmp/klik/aspell-bin_VERSION/wrapper to see whether kmail works with aspell now. If it does, rebuild your cmg with

mkcramfs /tmp/klik/aspell-bin_VERSION/ ~/Desktop/kmail-aspell.cmg

Greetings
probono