PDA

View Full Version : Garbage display once X started

Anonymous Hamster
07-12-2005, 02:15 AM
I have a system based on the Intel i810 chipset, using the onboard video.

When booting the 3.9 CD, there are a couple of issues:

1. (minor) I get the message "You passed an undefined mode number."
This is not a big problem; I type 0 and things continue on.

2. (major) X fails to start. It gives me a garbage display.
(Typing ctrl-alt-F2 [or F1/etc] does work okay to get me to a
alternate virtual text console.)

I've done some searching here and found that I can get X to work by
initially giving the "3" argument to "Boot:" and then typing (once I get
the prompt):

modprobe intel_agp
startx

I've noticed that other people using Intel chipsets are experiencing
the same problem. Perhaps a bug fix is in order?

ockham23
07-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Same thing on my computer (Intel 815e chipset). Solution: When the message comes up, don't press any key, just wait for 30 seconds.

Anonymous Hamster
07-13-2005, 12:03 AM
For me, waiting avoids the first (minor) problem, but not the second (major) problem.
In any case, I shouldn't have to wait, either.

jjmac
07-13-2005, 11:57 AM
>>
I have a system based on the Intel i810 chipset, using the onboard video.
I've done some searching here and found that I can get X to work by
modprobe intel_agp
startx
>>

I'll hazard a suggestion ... X isn't matching the server with the chipset ... hmmmm, ok, obviously. But that would be about the only real attack avenue.

X possibly dosen't support or fully support the on board video ??? ... what would be its' closest match. I take it that your not using a card...

It may be best to use a card. If i got that wrong all appologies.

jm

rwcitek
07-15-2005, 10:19 PM
I have a system based on the Intel i810 chipset, using the onboard video. When booting the 3.9 CD, there are a couple of issues:

1. (minor) I get the message "You passed an undefined mode number."
This is not a big problem; I type 0 and things continue on.

Try booting with boot: knoppix vga=0 Specifying vga=0 is the same as typing in 0 later.

2. (major) X fails to start. It gives me a garbage display.
(Typing ctrl-alt-F2 [or F1/etc] does work okay to get me to a
alternate virtual text console.)

Try booting with boot: knoppix vga=0 3. Then when you are at the shell prompt, type:

modprobe intel_agp
init 5

You may also want to try these other values for vga=: 769, 771, 773, 775. You may also want to try these values for xmodule=: i810, fbdev. For more cheatcodes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes).

Perhaps a bug fix is in order?
From what I understand, Klaus is aware of this issue with agp drivers not loading. IIRC, the error is in the script /etc/init.d/xsession:
less -iNX +/'should not' /etc/init.d/xsession

Let us know how things go. Since I don't have an Intel graphics card, I'm particularly curious to know if this works:
boot: knoppix vga=0 xmodule=i810

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/

Anonymous Hamster
07-16-2005, 02:34 AM
Try booting with boot: knoppix vga=0 Specifying vga=0 is the same as typing in 0 later.That fixes the first problem, not the second.

Try booting with boot: knoppix vga=0 3. Then when you are at the shell prompt, type:

modprobe intel_agp
init 5
That works fine.

You may also want to try these other values for vga=: 769, 771, 773, 775. You may also want to try these values for xmodule=: i810, fbdev. For more cheatcodes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes).

Perhaps a bug fix is in order?
From what I understand, Klaus is aware of this issue with agp drivers not loading. IIRC, the error is in the script /etc/init.d/xsession:
less -iNX +/'should not' /etc/init.d/xsession

Let us know how things go. Since I don't have an Intel graphics card, I'm particularly curious to know if this works:
No, that doesn't work. xmodule is not the problem. The problem is with the AGP driver, not the video driver.
When I try the above, I get this series of messages:

Starting X11.....
Retrying with server XFree86(vesa) .
Retrying with server XFree86(fbdev) .
Error: No suitable X-server found for your card.
Of course, there's lots of video flashing between these messages.

rwcitek
07-16-2005, 04:07 AM

modprobe intel_agp
init 5
That works fine.
Excellent.

Since I don't have an Intel graphics card, I'm particularly curious to know if this works:
No, that doesn't work. xmodule is not the problem. The problem is with the AGP driver, not the video driver.
True. But was worth a shot.

At this point, you know what works and have several options on how to fix it. Perhaps the simplest solution would be to uncomment the lines after the "Should not ... " in /etc/init.d/xsessions and then save your configuration to a USB stick or local harddrive either through using a persistent image (knoppix-mkimage) or saving the system configuration (saveconfig). You could also remaster the CD.

Let us know what works for you.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/

glennt
02-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Something finally worked!!!! After weeks of searching the internet!
I love you guys!!!!!

Harry Kuhman
02-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Something finally worked!!!! After weeks of searching the internet!
I love you guys!!!!!
Quite an unusual post for a first post, but congratulations on actually being able to search and find the information you need rather than asking the same question again. We have fondness for you too, although we have problems expressing it as love.

glennt
02-26-2006, 12:38 AM
I registered just to post that too cause im super duper excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|enouf|
02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
We have fondness for you too, although we have problems expressing it as love.
....aww C'mon Harry..... -- give us that ever-loving, all encompassing, knoppix caring, open source fostering universal Hug! ...lol :o :D