PDA

View Full Version : Ndiswrapper USB Live-CD

sumithar
07-12-2005, 04:00 AM
Hi all,
I just want to know if I should spend any effort trying to connect to the internet via a USB wireless adapter (Netgear MA111) if I am running from the LiveCD (Knoppix 3.9).
When I tried the first step and did
modprobe ndiswrapper
I got the following
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.11/misc/ndispwrapper.ko): Operation not permitted

My guess was that my harddisk is write protected that is why I got this message.

The HDD has a non-working version of Win2K on it plus a bunch of files which I am not ready to discard just yet, so I don't know if making the Hard Disk readable would cause any damage to existing data on it.

Any directions from this point forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sumithar
07-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi all,
Sorry to reply to my own question. But on re-reading it, I thought perhaps it was not phrased right.

What I should have asked is
a) Does Knoppix 3.9 come with the right ndiswrapper drivers for the NetGear MA111 wireless USB card? Not sure where I would find the answer to this, I looked around.
b) If I choose to run Knoppix from the CD how would I install these drivers? (Since modprobe gives me that error message)

b1) Am I having difficulty because by default the live CD makes the hard disk "read-only"?

b2) Can I still install the drivers by removing the read-only property of the hard disk?

b3) If I do that, will Knoppix be able to write to the hard disk w/o ruining whatever might there on the hard disk?

Thanks