PDA

View Full Version : Frugalware&Mepis&Klik

dwombat
07-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Dear sirs,
I tried klik in mepis and if you put the mounts in fstab it puts 7 hard drive[image] icons on the desktop,when you reboot the fstab returns to it's former config.Also I read on the forums that nothing is installed to the hard drive ,well wine ,xwine,opera all had hidden folders at "~/",which stay after deleting the .cmg file, why?The only cmg I got to work was xvier.cmg and I had to /tmp/klik/xvier/wrapper to get it to work.Now in Frug the ~/klik/-cmg-install-root works and no desktop icons and fstab keeps the mnt entries after reboot.Now 3d chess wouldn't work,xvier worked by clicking the desktop file,opera worked somewhat, opened up shell and said couldn't load libjvm.so and libawt.so so ignored,than opera opened to setup window and froze.I know from reading the forums that 90% of klik users use Knoppix,so what do the other 10% do,like me I suppose,have problems.Also I should say both Frug and Mepis are hard drive installs.Any suggestions would be appreciated,Dennis

bfree
07-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Dear sirs,
I tried klik in mepis and if you put the mounts in fstab it puts 7 hard drive[image] icons on the desktop,when you reboot the fstab returns to it's former config.

Lovely! Sounds like mepis is being a but stupid to me.

Also I read on the forums that nothing is installed to the hard drive ,well wine ,xwine,opera all had hidden folders at "~/",which stay after deleting the .cmg file, why?

These are your own personal settings files. Destroying them could be very nasty. Storing them somewhere else would have more confusing files and be unusual. Nothing changable can be stored in the cmg. That is it's purpose (to provide a read only, no install, program).

The only cmg I got to work was xvier.cmg and I had to /tmp/klik/xvier/wrapper to get it to work.

So it sounds like you are having mounting trouble. Perhaps you can try doing things by hand to see where it braks down? Basically link the cmg to /mnt/app/1/image and then mount /mnt/app/1/image and finally run /mnt/app/1/image/wrapper.

Now in Frug
Frug (never heard of it before) is not a supported distribution so applications could have dependency problems :-( Sending the information about the distro to probono may see it added to the supported list though ...

dwombat
07-13-2005, 07:29 AM
bfree,
I found the problem with the icons,,it was set up to put these on the desktop in the KDE Comtrol Center,corrected that. I klik sylpheed-claws and ran with wrapper,and it ran perfect.Now I will delete the klik client and reload it and do like I did in Frug and use the "klik-cmg--install-root" script and see how that works.Could you put the in layman terms what exactly I put in the terminal to mount manually, if I have any trouble doing it with .cmg,I think you type in terminal what you have written down,accept the part about linking .cmg to mount ,I don,t understand what I put here.Now the personal hidden files,you say destroying them could be very nasty, how so, as they only apply to the cmg file that is on the desktop,I agree if I get the program to run snd have stuff in these files and deleted them that would affect the cmg file I had.I think "klik" is great,as you can preview programs before you install them to hard drive,as would be the case for me.Now I am sending with this post the web ad for Frug,take a look at it.They need a basic How To Do for kilk,for people like me,I have been using linux for about a year now and I am finding new things to learn.Thanks for any help you can give me,Dennis
http://frugalware.org/news.php

bfree
07-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Could you put the in layman terms what exactly I put in the terminal to mount manually, if I have any trouble doing it with .cmg,I think you type in terminal what you have written down,accept the part about linking .cmg to mount ,I don,t understand what I put here.

Then do the easier way ... just copy the cmg file to /mnt/app/1/image (what I described was making a link "ln -s ~/Desktop/blah.cmg /mnt/app/1/image"). You'll probably have to make the /mnt/app/1 directory first, and destroy it afterwards (along with it's contents).

Now the personal hidden files,you say destroying them could be very nasty, how so, as they only apply to the cmg file that is on the desktop.
Files can be used by multiple different programs, and also by different versions of the same program!

dwombat
07-13-2005, 12:00 PM
bfree,
Well everthing worked ,deleted the klik client,reloaded,did the klik-cmg-install-root,klik'd sylpheed-claws,set it up sent and received mail and even the spell checker works.This klik's is one nifty program.makes using a live cd a little more practical now and you wouldn't even need a hard drive,a 1GB pen drive.Thanks for all the help and I have your directions written down for future referance,.I am sure I will have more questions in the future.

Cheers,Dennis

dwombat
07-14-2005, 02:23 AM
bfree,
My fstab reverts back to itself,with out the mnt entries in it after reboot and I have to klik-cmg-install-root again.I have a hard drive install and noticed that in these lines
/mnt/app/1/image /mnt/app/1 cramfs,iso9660 user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
it has "noauto" should that not be "defaults" as I have it this way for
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0[this loads my lm-sensors module at boot] and this was "noauto" before I changed it,the "noauto" here prevented the lm-sensor module from loading at boot.
let me know,Dennis

dwombat
07-19-2005, 10:55 PM
To answer my own question,
When you put the mnt enries in fstab,you have to put them above the dynamic enries section or they are erased each boot.Now my fstab keeps the mnt enries,Dennis