PDA

View Full Version : 3.9 usb pen drive issues solved

realpc
07-14-2005, 03:57 PM
hi all.

time to give somthing back here.

i used 3.7 for ages and loved it, got 3.9 from a cover cd and tried it on my laptop, loved it, installed it to hd however had a few issues, this is what i noticed...

during the hd install of 3.7 you had 3 options for the config, knoppix (like cd), old debian style or beginner (with hardware detection).

the latter was the (prefered option).

so that was how i installed 3.7.

when i installed 3.9 i again chose the (prefered option), thats where i went wrong!

my usb pen drives never were detected this way, i had to manually alter the etc/fstab to include the new names uba1 etc. once i mounted them this way they were totaly unmountable as they were reported as busy, so it was a pain.

i missed the clever way you could mount and unmount and plug in and plug out usb drives and the little icons would appear on the desktop under 3.7.

so i re-installed 3.9 to the hard disk and noticed as you run through the install process that the prefered option is no longer the begginer mode! in fact the knoppix hd isntall script has been scrapped in favour of kanotix script, therefore the options have changed.

now i thought 7 months of knoppix would have moved me up the food chain to at least intermediate user!

so installing 3.9 and not choosing the (prefered option) and instead choosing the "begginer" option with hardware detection meant that my usb pen drives etc functioned fine.

hope that helps anyone.

regards to all.

steve.