2 ata 100 drives @ 120 gb each
dell PowerEdge server with ide hardware raid 1

C=20gb
D=100gb

end result needs to be
c=60gb
d=60gb
or similar
how stable is it and what other precautions should I take besides backup / ghost?

UnderScore
07-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I dont know if it can be done. The first question to be asked isn't whether or not Knoppix can resize a NTFS RAID partition, but can Knoppix (linux kernel) see the RAID array? Is the IDE RAID card a true HW RAID card or is it a sort of hydrid soft/hard RAID card? This can be answered by checking if the card has working drivers in the Linux kernel itself.

Issues similar to this continue to pop up with new SATA motherboards because HW manufacturers continue to rely on software RAID chipsets/cards where the card provides a HW interface for SATA but then depends on the OS to run a RAID interfacing driver. See http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html about fakeraid.

Harry Kuhman
07-14-2005, 07:19 PM
You know, your post doesn't make much sense. In addition to not giving anyone hard facts about the hardware raid (like the make and model), you leave the user to guess about what you are trying to do. One might think that you want to partition the system for Linux only, but the use of the letters C and D is a Microsoft thing and implies that you will be running windows on this system, although if that is the case we have no idea what version or what type of file system the partitions will have. If you are planning on running Linux then it isn't clear why you didn't include a swap partition. And if you are not planning on running Linux then why are you even looking at Linux as a tool to partition a Windows system?

Absolutely back up everything that you think is important before you try to resize anything. But if you're going to do what complete strangers on a forum tel you to do to your hard disk partitions, at least give them a clue to partition types and what you think you are trying to do rather than doing what they would do in their case.

rigger
07-14-2005, 07:51 PM
man, I'm such an IDIOT!

Please let me try to clear it up as much as possible.

Post subject: using qtpart in knoppix to resize ntfs hardware raid 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 ata 100 drives @ 120 gb each
dell PowerEdge server with ide hardware raid 1

what I have:
C=20gb
D=100gb

What I am trying to do:
end result needs to be
c=60gb
d=60gb
or similar
how stable is it and what other precautions should I take besides backup / ghost?

For some reason underscore was able to decode my cryptic post and for that I thank him. I had stated that it was on a windows 2000 SBS server in the subject, but it was overwritten by the "ovr" tool. I bet that underscore is correct in the fact that knoppix won't see the raid at all. I don't have much detail on the make and model since i didn't want to crack open the server, and the documentation wasn't detailed. Sorry for the confusion.

Harry Kuhman
07-14-2005, 07:59 PM
.... but it was overwritten by the "ovr" tool. I bet that underscore is correct ......
I have no idea what the ovr tool is that you speak of. I thought the same thing as Underscore, but since the only thing that I saw you really saying was that you strongly believed it was a true hardware raid system, it seemed better to ask the make and model than make conclusions. Still not clear where you are trying to go with this, but without raid system information it would be wise not to try.

rwcitek
07-16-2005, 12:56 AM
If you've got a Dell PowerEdge server with Hardware RAID 1 IDE drives, then you are probably not a novice to computing. You also probably have enough sense not to do this on your production server. So, yes, make a backup / ghost, and give QTparted a whirl. If it works, great. If not, restore from the backup. Either way it'll be a learning experience.

Besides, Knoppix is considered experimental software. When you're done, let us know how your experiment goes.

Regards,
- Robert
htpp://www.cwelug.org/