PDA

View Full Version : Boot knoppix from other kernel

lars.tobias
07-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi,

I just upgraded my machine and found it unusable afterward, so I have to fix it. I booted knoppix, but realized that Knoppix doesn't come with Reiser4 support. All my partitions but /boot are Reiser4.

Of course I have Reiser4-support on my own kernel at /boot, so I thought; why not boot up this kernel and pass root= to the Knoppix-CD?

Then the question comes: how do I do this?

Thanks!

Dave_Bechtel
07-16-2005, 08:58 AM
( sigh ) I know this is the Knoppix forum, but it sounds like you need a live-cd that has reiser4:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Reiser4_Enabled_Live_CD

--The Knoppix livecd boot process is different from the "normal" way a system boots; I doubt what you are thinking would work unless you remaster the CD with a different kernel.

--AFAIK, Reiser4 is Alpha / Beta status, and most distros don't support it yet (including Knoppix.) (Backups are your friend.)

--What distro are you using to test reiser4, BTW? I'm interested in the reputed performance improvements, but a _lot_ of apps are going to be confused by the new filesystem semantics / API.

Hi,

I just upgraded my machine and found it unusable afterward, so I have to fix it. I booted knoppix, but realized that Knoppix doesn't come with Reiser4 support. All my partitions but /boot are Reiser4.

Of course I have Reiser4-support on my own kernel at /boot, so I thought; why not boot up this kernel and pass root= to the Knoppix-CD?

Then the question comes: how do I do this?

Thanks!

lars.tobias
07-18-2005, 10:01 AM
( sigh ) I know this is the Knoppix forum, but it sounds like you need a live-cd that has reiser4:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Reiser4_Enabled_Live_CD
Yeah, I know. Tried that one, but it hangs trying to mount the CD-ROM. Don't have DVD-ROM so I cant try that version either... :-(

--The Knoppix livecd boot process is different from the "normal" way a system boots; I doubt what you are thinking would work unless you remaster the CD with a different kernel.
Right...I see. Bad luck for me, I guess. :-/

--AFAIK, Reiser4 is Alpha / Beta status, and most distros don't support it yet (including Knoppix.) (Backups are your friend.)
Yeah, I know it's kinda experimental. I have been testing it since release 1.0 and it has worked perfectly. I don't really want to do a backup-restore either, as it is kind of a lot of work.

--What distro are you using to test reiser4, BTW? I'm interested in the reputed performance improvements, but a _lot_ of apps are going to be confused by the new filesystem semantics / API.
I use Gentoo, of course! ;-) The reputed performance improvements are true in most cases, I noticed a big difference from ReiserFS.

I haven't had any confused apps yet. And I guess it has very good backward compatibility with the usual UNIX file system semantics.

As for my problem, I guess I have to figure out something else. Thanks anyway! :-)

--
Regards, Lars Tobias