PDA

View Full Version : Compaq laptop,32MB,800MB HDD,PCMCIA n/wrk card, floppy,no CD

chris_andrew
07-16-2005, 12:05 AM
Hi, all.

I have the following old Compaq laptop: 32MB RAM ,800MB HDD,PCMCIA network card, floppy,no CD drive.

I did a Debian Sarge install using 3 * floppies, then a network install from the internet. This went fairly smoothly.

Unfortunately, Sarge didn't recognise some of my hardware. I would like to do a Knoppix install, in a similar way. This way, I'll have the power of Debian, and the "it just works" of Knoppix hardware detection.

Does anybody know whether this is possible, without a CDROM drive?

Thanks,

Chris.

Harry Kuhman
07-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Don't even know what CPU you have, but 32 meg of ram is way too little for Knoppix, as is 800 meg of hard disk space. Knoppix is all or nothing, you're not going to install in on a 800 meg hard drive. And, of course, there are all the other warnings about Knoppix not being intended for a hard drive install. You'll find it much simpler to resolve the problems that you have with your hardware (if Knoppix could resolve them then you can certainly resolve them too) than to manage to run Knoppixon that system.

UnderScore
07-16-2005, 01:10 AM
If you were able to get Debian installed then you have some good skills. lol. I just noticed the "no CD drive." You definitly have good linux skills but you will need more than your current skills to get knoppix installed. Harry is right about thr HD space. You will need a minimum of 2GB the root filesystem.

chris_andrew
07-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Fair point, guys.

I may try to do the same with Damn Small Linux (DSL), http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Thanks,

Chris.