PDA

View Full Version : 3.9 hangs on Autoconfiguring devices, [ Fujistsu N3511 ]

serene
07-16-2005, 06:01 AM
Knoppix 3.9 gets stuck on the 'autoconfigure devices'.

Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook N3511
I've tried all of the hardware cheat codes to turn off the various detections, including 'failsafe' by itself
Some commands tried: knppix NOACPI, PCI=BIOS, noscsi, noapm, failsafe... etc.

Only 'nohwsetup' will start the laptop.

Question:
How can I determine exactly what is hanging the startup of my laptop?

Thank you.
Serene

rwcitek
07-16-2005, 07:09 AM
Only 'nohwsetup' will start the laptop.
Question:
How can I determine exactly what is hanging the startup of my laptop?

Try this: boot: knoppix nohwsetup 3 That should boot Knoppix into a virtual console with a root shell. Does it? If so, you can then run hwsetup manually. To see the option hwsetup takes, type:
hwsetup -h You can run hwsetup via the strace program to see what system calls it is making. Type:
strace hwsetup -a -s
What do you see on the screen just before Knoppix hangs? For example, what's the last line say? Also, what's the last line that begins with "open(...." say?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/

serene
07-16-2005, 08:10 PM
>>Try this: boot: knoppix nohwsetup 3 That should boot Knoppix into a virtual console with a root shell. Does it?
>>If so, you can then run hwsetup manually. To see the option hwsetup takes, type: hwsetup -h
>>You can run hwsetup via the strace program to see what system calls it is making. Type:strace hwsetup -a -s
>>What do you see on the screen just before Knoppix hangs? For example, what's the last line say? Also, what's the last line that begins with "open(...." say?

-----------------------------Attempts to startup Knoppix 3.9 and results below-----------------------------

1. Start with: knoppix nohwsetup 3.
Result: Success

2. Type hwsetup -v -p
Result: Failure. The Autodetection Devices still hangs endlessly. I tried to force quit the process via kill & top but it wouldn't let me. I pressed
Control key plus X, Control plus C, Control plus Z to stop hwsetup.

3. Open a new console, switch to root, type: strace -a -s hwsetup | grep -w open
Result: The last 'open' line refered to a USB device.

4. I tried again to start Knoppix 3.9 and disabling the USB ( knoppix nousb ).
Result: Success... but no USB at all.

I can now start up knoppix but I have NO usb support.
How would I acomplish troubleshooting the USB?

Thank you much.
Serene :o

rwcitek
07-17-2005, 02:59 AM
4. I tried again to start Knoppix 3.9 and disabling the USB ( knoppix nousb ).
Result: Success... but no USB at all.

I can now start up knoppix but I have NO usb support.
Glad to hear that you can now use Knoppix, even if it is without USB support.

How would I acomplish troubleshooting the USB?
I suspect that your USB hardware and the current USB drivers may not play well together. You can tell what USB hardware you have with 'lspci | grep -i usb':

root@tty1[/]# lspci | grep -i usb
0000:00:09.0 USB Controller: Unknown device 2955:6e61 (rev 11)
00:09.0 is the bus:slot.func number and 2955:6e61 is the vendor:device number (unknown in this case) that lspci looks up in /usr/share/misc/pci.ids. View the top of that file for a description for how it is laid out. You can then get more information from lspci by specifying the bus:slot.function number and being very verbose:

root@tty1[/]# lspci -vv -s 00:09.0
0000:00:09.0 USB Controller: Unknown device 2955:6e61 (rev 11) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Unknown device 2955:6e61
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr+ DEVSEL=?? >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 9
Region 0: Memory at 10000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
Can you post your lspci output?

Thank you much.
Serene :o
You're welcome and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert

serene
07-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Thank you, I've tried your help and here are the results below...

root@0[knoppix]# lspci | grep -i usb
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 04)
root@0[knoppix]# lspci -vv -s 00:1d.0
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited.: Unknown device 12e8
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
Region 4: I/O ports at 1200 [size=32]

rwcitek
07-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Thank you, I've tried your help and here are the results below...
I did a Google search using some of the terms from the lscpi listing. The only thing that came up promising was a link that mentioned disabling legacy USB support in the BIOS.

Another tactic that may work is to manually load the USB drivers.
for i in usbhid usb_storage ub ohci_hcd uhci_hcd ehci_hcd usbcore ; do
echo $i
modprobe $i
done
The other thing to try is Google http://www.google.com/search?q=site:knoppix.net+nousb

Beyond that, I can't think of anything else right now.

Regards,
- Robert