PDA

View Full Version : Low end PC

lotech
07-16-2005, 11:28 AM
I tried to install the 3.9 on an old IBM 300GL with a Celeron 466/192 RAM, I do the beginner install, when I input the user password I got an error that the white background image can not be loaded, and the password field is corrupted I can't see what's in there, after many retries I still can not verify my password. The onboard video is intel810 with 1M shared memory that I can't change, but I installed Ubuntu on the same hardware without problem, it seems that Knoppix has much higher requirement on hardware.

Harry Kuhman
07-16-2005, 11:43 AM
it seems that Knoppix has much higher requirement on hardware.
Really? You don't come right out and say it, but the implication is that Knoppix runs just fine on that system as it was intended to run, from the CD. So I hardly think it likely that KNoppix needs more resources when run from disk than from CD, i's much more likely just another in the long list of issues installing something that wasn't designed for HD install.

OH, and I'm moving this to the HDD install forum where it makes more sense.

lotech
07-16-2005, 12:00 PM
It took centuries to load the desktop config so I can't change the wall paper to reduce memory useage, and if I can pass the password setup screen then I will know how good is the HD install, may be I got a bad display card.......

Harry Kuhman
07-16-2005, 12:07 PM
It took centuries to load the desktop config so I can't change the wall paper to reduce memory useage, and if I can pass the password setup screen then I will know how good is the HD install, may be I got a bad display card.......
I'm not sure what you mean by the desktop config, but if you mean just a normal boot into the gui, well it takes me less than centuries on even lower rated computers. So there could be other issues, like maybe the CD was burnt at a high speed (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78925#78925).

jombeewoof
07-30-2005, 05:35 AM
I'm running it on a P233 mmx with 96MB ram and a 4meg video card
I'm breaking no benchmark records but it takes less than 2 minutes to boot to gui (unless I use KDE) from a hd install

maxIT
07-31-2005, 09:25 AM
Knoppix is very fast.
Knoppix/kde in my celeron 1GHZ/116RAM is 3/4 ninutes faster to load than Ubuntu/gnome. Once loaded bother ubuntu take almost the same time to open the root shell as knoppix to open openoffice :!:
And once installed performance obviusly increase.