PDA

View Full Version : how to keep from getting just a blank screen?

nuB71705
07-17-2005, 11:16 PM
hi! i'm booting from the cd knoppix_v3.9-2005-05-27-EN and keep getting a blank screen whenever it's trying to load linux. after just pressing enter from the boot: prompt, i get the following message:

Loading linux .............................
loading minirt.gz .........

then the screen goes blank, like it's in some hanged state.

i've tried several cheatcodes, but it didn't help. can anyone give any suggestions what cheatcodes i should try to fix this problem? thanks.

my system:
compaq presario with XP
Celeron(R) cpu 2.70 GHZ
Intel(R) Extreme Graphics

Harry Kuhman
07-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Try the expert cheat code and step through answering all of the questions. Take notes. When it locks up, try answering the last question differently.

nuB71705
07-18-2005, 02:28 AM
typed expert from the boot: prompt and my computer still goes blank. i've got a 2wire home portal from sbc connected to my pc for internet access, which i share with 3 other PCs. not sure if maybe this might be affecting the initialization when it first tries to boot up, then the computer locks with a blank screen. seems like if i try and type some cheatcode the same effect happens, that includes trying expert. however; when i tried 'failsafe' knoppix linux is able to start up. i can view and work with the desktop. i just can't browse the web though. now i'm stuck and not sure how to fix this. is there a way to browse the web in failsafe mode? thanks for any help again.

nuB71705
07-18-2005, 06:20 AM
never mind! got it to work finally. just gotta know the right cheatcode to get to function (with web browsing). it's good to know if i need help with trouble shooting, this forum is available, and that somebody will respond with help (in my case, INSTANTLY!) thanks to the moderators to this forum and whoever was concerned to help! i'll learn much more about opertating systems from a programmers standpoint, than in Windows.