PDA

View Full Version : rt2500 when left idel for few minutes hangs system

paradigm_shift
07-18-2005, 05:54 AM
when downloading there is no problem but if left with no packet received after few minutes system hangs and input devices freeze.

paradigm_shift
07-18-2005, 06:03 AM
is there a fake packet sending daemon that runs in background so it fools rt2500 device into thinking it is downloadnig so it stops crashing???

Harry Kuhman
07-18-2005, 06:14 AM
is there a fake packet sending daemon that runs in background so it fools rt2500 device into thinking it is downloadnig so it stops crashing???
Well, there's the ping command (http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/ping.8.html). It has a wait switch (-i) that lets you pause between pings and it will run until told to stop. May not be exactly what you want, but it should do the job for testing and will certainly keep your connection alive with minimal traffic.

paradigm_shift
07-18-2005, 07:52 AM
#!/bin/csh -f

set IP=( 192.168.0.1 www.google.com )

set LOGFILE="ping.log"
set ZZZ=2

echo "Started ping log at: `date`" >! ${LOGFILE}
echo "Targets: $IP" >> ${LOGFILE}
echo " " >> ${LOGFILE}

# Go until Ctrl-C or killed
while 1

foreach target ( ${IP} )
ping -c1 -qn ${target} > /dev/null

if( ${status} == 1 ) then
echo "`date`: ${target} is not reachable" >> ${LOGFILE}
endif
end

sleep ${ZZZ}

end
script works but even when script is run rt2500 causes system to halt. i tried running script on bash or running it through cron but not effective.

Harry Kuhman
07-18-2005, 08:07 AM
I don't know what you are trying to tell me or why you seem to be doing it a complex way. I was simply thinking of opening a terminal and typing in something like ping -i30 192.168.0.1 and letting it run. And I wasn't the one that claimed that network activity would keep your system alive, that was you who drew that relation. If the system still hangs then maybe the original premis is wrong.

paradigm_shift
07-18-2005, 08:11 AM
I don't know what you are trying to tell me or why you seem to be doing it a complex way. I was simply thinking of opening a terminal and typing in something like ping -i30 192.168.0.1 and letting it run. And I wasn't the one that claimed that network activity would keep your system alive, that was you who drew that relation. If the system still hangs then maybe the original premis is wrong.i'm not really sure what is the problem but what i know for sure is that when i'm downloading files of size say >10kb connection is alive and system don't freeze. pinging don't seem to prevent system freeze.

Harry Kuhman
07-18-2005, 08:16 AM
I don't know what the problem is either. Downloading does involve more than just network activity though. For example, it keeps the disk active while just the computer sitting idle does not. Might this be something as simple as a bios setting that is causing the hard drive to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity and Linux for some strange reason hanging when that happens?

paradigm_shift
07-28-2005, 12:28 AM
anywyz case solved when i installed newest rt2500 driver from serialmonkey.