PDA

View Full Version : X goes out to lunch with Knoppix 3.2

computerguy
04-20-2003, 03:58 AM
Using Knoppix 3.2 (4-15-2003) when Knoppix tries to start X, the video goes blank and no signal is being sent to my monitor. Haven't had that problem with any version up til this. 3.1 boots up fine as did the other 3.2 versions (although I had and have been having some strange mixture of german/english issues). When booting, it looks like it detects the video card just fine. It also looks like maybe the image for the boot floppy on the English iso is a german boot disk.

Stephen
04-20-2003, 04:25 AM
What Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) have you tried what is the video card, a little more information is needed.

computerguy
04-21-2003, 02:13 AM
The card is an older ATI AIW that uses a Rage128 chipset. I've tried no cheat codes.

Thanks

Stephen
04-21-2003, 02:38 AM
You should try ar least knoppix testcd and knoppix failsafe to make sure the cd is good and it will boot with minimal hardware detection.

rickenbacherus
04-21-2003, 05:47 AM
Assuming your disc checks out with 'testcd' try booting with
xmodule=ati You may also need to add aditional codes too like so:

knoppix lang=us wheelmouse xmodule=ati

computerguy
04-21-2003, 11:17 AM
You should try ar least knoppix testcd and knoppix failsafe to make sure the cd is good and it will boot with minimal hardware detection.

I know that the CD is good. It booted fine on another system.

Thanks

computerguy
04-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Assuming your disc checks out with 'testcd' try booting with
xmodule=ati You may also need to add aditional codes too like so:

knoppix lang=us wheelmouse xmodule=ati

Thanks, I'll give it a try. What would the cheat code xmodule=ati buy me if Knoppix appears to be detecting the Rage128 chipset properly?

Thanks

rickenbacherus
04-21-2003, 09:15 PM

Thanks

I believe this to be a false positive. Your download would be considered incomplete if it missed just one byte of data. If Knoppix never attempts to use that data then theoretically it would boot just fine BUT if on another machine it did need that one byte.........know what I mean? 'testcd' and using 'md5sum' are the only way to be absolutely sure of the integrity of your copy.

Stephen
04-21-2003, 09:34 PM

Thanks

I believe this to be a false positive. Your download would be considered incomplete if it missed just one byte of data. If Knoppix never attempts to use that data then theoretically it would boot just fine BUT if on another machine it did need that one byte.........know what I mean? 'testcd' and using 'md5sum' are the only way to be absolutely sure of the integrity of your copy.

Exactly I've had CD's that seem fine until install.

rickenbacherus
04-21-2003, 10:31 PM
What would the cheat code xmodule=ati buy me if Knoppix appears to be detecting the Rage128 chipset properly?

Thanks

Hopefully it buys you a running xserver! :) I have an S3 in aother machine and I boot 'xmodule=s3'

If 'failsafe' doesn't work you can always boot Knoppipx 2 and do some exploring to see if you can get it figured out. As always post back.

computerguy
04-22-2003, 01:56 AM

Thanks

I remember now that I did run the md5 check on the iso image before burning but I went ahead and ran testcd and it checked out as well. Oddly enough on that boot, X came up fine (I used no other cheat codes). If I used xmodule=ati X failed to initialize properly just like if I hadn't entered it.

rickenbacherus
04-22-2003, 03:23 AM
I went ahead and ran testcd and it checked out as well. Oddly enough on that boot, X came up fine (I used no other cheat codes). If I used xmodule=ati X failed to initialize properly just like if I hadn't entered it.

What happened on subsequent boots?

computerguy
04-22-2003, 04:53 AM
I went ahead and ran testcd and it checked out as well. Oddly enough on that boot, X came up fine (I used no other cheat codes). If I used xmodule=ati X failed to initialize properly just like if I hadn't entered it.

What happened on subsequent boots?

After a few reboots, I saw no change in anything. So far the only thing that gets me to X is specifying testcd.

Fabianx
04-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Using Knoppix 3.2 (4-15-2003) when Knoppix tries to start X, the video goes blank and no signal is being sent to my monitor. Haven't had that problem with any version up til this. 3.1 boots up fine as did the other 3.2 versions (although I had and have been having some strange mixture of german/english issues). When booting, it looks like it detects the video card just fine. It also looks like maybe the image for the boot floppy on the English iso is a german boot disk.

In 3.2 ddc probing was improved. However if your monitor does not give the correct values, screen will be blank.

you could try: knoppix noddc or knoppix resolution=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 or similar.

cu

Fabian

computerguy
04-24-2003, 02:06 AM
In 3.2 ddc probing was improved. However if your monitor does not give the correct values, screen will be blank.

you could try: knoppix noddc or knoppix resolution=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 or similar.

cu

Fabian

noddc worked. Seems like the "old" ddc probe worked better for my system <G>

Thanks

Henk Poley
04-26-2003, 05:59 PM

cu

Fabian
noddc worked
huh, so this is probably a double bug. New DDC detect doesn't detect your monitor correctly, and after testcd the scripts don't run the DDC check...

yes?