PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 3.9 over the top of existing hdd install

mors
07-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Wondered if I can upgrade to 3.9 over the top over an existing 3.7 hdd install? Does it splat all my existing data or upgrade around it? If it can be done, how do I go about it? -Just put the livecd in and run the HDinstall off it?

Thanks

Mors

p.s
If it can be done to 4.0 - even better!!! -How?

UnderScore
07-18-2005, 05:33 PM
The HD install program will not recognize your existing HS installed Knoppix and will nuke all existing data. If you wish to upgrade, backup all your imporant data to someother place (network server, email it to yourself, CDR) and then do a HD install which will format & extract the CD (or DVD) to your HD.

mors
07-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks underscore - I did what you said, backed up the important stuff first and then splatted it.
Pity you cant do an upgrade to the system, would be nice to all the extra updates and drivers etc.
I'm gonna post a side note to this topic else it'll never get answered in this one - what's the difference between the hdd install options?

Thanks underscore

Mors

Harry Kuhman
08-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Pity you cant do an upgrade to the system, would be nice to all the extra updates and drivers etc.....
That's the very nature of electing to "install" Knoppix rather than Debin, which was designed for hard disk and has straight forward upgrade tools.