PDA

View Full Version : Internet access via cable modem

pybass
07-18-2005, 05:19 PM
I cant seem to find a way to the intenet. they say that knoppix has great hardware detection but i dont see it . i cant seem to get access to the internet vial cable modem on cat-5. How do i configure knoppix to use my cable modem? :evil:

UnderScore
07-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Without more detail we can not help you.
Please explain in detail your PC, its hardware, if you are using a firewall/route device, and please explain the path of the network. Example: I connect my PC's network card (a 3Com 3C905C) to a Netgear firewall router which is then connected to the cable modem.

foamrotreturns
07-18-2005, 05:31 PM
What commands have you tried? Are you trying to access the modem directly? Through a router? We need more info.

pybass
07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
What commands have you tried? Are you trying to access the modem directly? Through a router? We need more info.so i start up Knoppix, try to acces the web, but cant, i get 0 incomming bytes to my computer, i use a Motorolla surf board cable modem, but i use a usb to plug from my modem to my computer because the modem doesnt detect pc activity with the cat-5 wire? Some how i need to configure knoppix to get on the internet activity. But i dont know where the configuration catagory is called :(

Harry Kuhman
07-18-2005, 10:17 PM
In general cable users don't have to do anything special, but your ISP may vary. The real question is "Do you use a cable/dsl router?" I would never run a high speed Internet connection without one. These things are dirt cheap now, and extremely usefil. In addition to forming the basis of a local network, they provide an important hardware firewall. And they do what you are most concerned about, they take care of all the connection issues to the ISP for you, and hand out network setup information to a local system by DHCP. You boot the Knoppix CD, you are on the Internet. It's really that simple.

I paid over $100 for my first one and still got a good deal. Now I see both wired and wireless ones often for $10 or less after rebate. There is a 802.11b wireless (with 4 wired ports also) Linksys model that has been offeded for less than $10 after rebate at many stores in recent weeks, and there is even an 802.11g (faster local networking, although 802.11b is likely faster than your cable connection) wireless router at CompUSA this week for $5 after rebate. There is simply no reason to run without one.

And one should always insist on an Ethernet based modem, the USB stuff is crap. You will get what you want if you insist.