PDA

View Full Version : Woot!~ =) Knoppix will run on my dookie system =)

jwilds73
04-20-2003, 04:17 AM
Well I have goofed around with Knoppix for alittle bit nothing really except booting it up on a old Gateway 133mhz system and playing the games that it has. However finally I poked around enough and figured out how to install it :D I have it running on a old Gateway 2000 (p133mhz) system that was giving to me. Anyways I just wanted to say how happy I am and I really think Knoppix is one of, if not the best linux distro. I couldn't install Redhat on this old computer or Libranet Essentials due to errors it encountered everytime they installed. Libranet actually did install all the way however it had problems with the video card and I couldn't get it to run with a GUI even when I changed video cards. Eventually I'll figure out the minor tweaks I need to do, right now it requires a floppy to boot and I know I can change this I opted not to install the bootloader since I dont need any other OS on this system so this might be why? Anyways I'm really happy I got it running on this old system and on another old system (p200mhz) I got Redhat 8.0 running. Once I get comfortable with them on these systems I plan to convert my p3 800mhz system to Linux fully and my p4 1.8ghz to a dual boot Win2k/Linux box.

Jwilds :twisted:

VeeDubb
04-20-2003, 07:51 AM
Not installing the boot loder is definately why. You MUST have a bootlaoder, even windows requires one. It's just that windows uses a proprietary one that just launches windows.