PDA

View Full Version : Difference between the HDD install options?

mors
07-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Just wonderin. What's the difference between the HDD install options - Knoppix/Debian/Beginner?
When I tried the Debian install, it seemed that a lot of my hardware wasn't picked up, the only install I've tried is the Beginner one, which seemed to work a treat - picked up all my hardware etc, and the software all seems the same?
Why would anyone want to do an install that doesn't install support for your hardware? I cant see any other differences?
I happy with the begineer install, and I've set it up as a domain server, webserver, and have wine and cedega working fine on it so I'm just wondering what else you'd need?

Mors

Harry Kuhman
07-19-2005, 09:22 AM
That's covered in the HDD install FAQ (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo) (third item). I'm not suggesting or encouraging a Knoppix hard drive install, only giving you a link to the information you ask for.

I personally do not believe in hard disk installing of Knoppix. The update problem you mention in another thread is just one reason. Installing Debian is about as easy and avoids the update and other problems.

mors
07-19-2005, 10:56 AM
I've read that article before. But, my question was, IF you decide to Knoppix to the hard drive, why would you take any other option than beginner? Why would anyone intentionally take an install to not support their hardware? Seems a bit of an odd option, like saying 'would you like option a) an install that works or option b) an install that is broken?'.
I really like the hdd install of knoppix and apart from when I'm messing for no good reason, I find it reliable and updates fine.
I'd install Debian and try that but I dont like Gnome that much.

Mors

Harry Kuhman
07-19-2005, 11:29 AM
To me, that question is like asking "If you decide to bash your head against a wall, why use anything except a brick wall?". But I have seen some explination by the heathen who do believe in Knoppix hard drive installs. :wink: There are different approaches for different ways that you want to have problems. One, for example, stores the compressed cloop file on the hard drive as a compressed cloop file. This saves disk space and is much more like running from CD. You can't change anything on the cloop file, but it should be faster than running from CD and should free up the CD drive. It can let you fit a "HD install" on a hard disk that Knoppix otherwise can't fit on (but Debian can). Other ways unpack the cloop file and give you more flexability, but take up more space, and still install all of the applications from the compressed file to hard disk (which you can pick through and try to remove later and see what breaks when you do.) But perhaps someone who actually does install Knoppix can give you a better answer.

Understand that all of this started when the Debian installer was much harder to use than it is now. People feared installing Debian and opted for a Knoppix install because they liked what they saw when they booted the CD and would accept the problems rather than deal with the Debian or other Linux distro installers. Things have changed, but some people still fear looking at anything else except the one thing they have seen.

mors
07-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Hmmmm thanks for the input. Gonna keep with the Knoppix HD install, XP, Suse and Ubuntu multiboot. Like the knoppix install the most. Untill I have probs with it and then I might take a look at kannotix or debian :)
I dont see any probs, touch wood, at the moment tho.

Mors

kb0hae
07-21-2005, 03:54 AM
Well, I have to say that I have tried Debian (sarge), Mandrake, and aLinux, as well as Debian-Like, and Beginner HD installs of
Knoppix. Only the Beginner HD install of Knoppix (3.9) works with all of my hardware. In Debian and the Debian-like installs I have printer problems. In Debian the highest video resolution I can get is 800x600. No driver for my video card. None in Knoppix either but I can go to 1024x768x16m colors. Mandrake and aLinux didn't even get through the install, but locked up part way through.

I did have to get a driver for my Conexant Winmodem, but it works great now. The only remaining problem is that if I configure my local network, I can't access the internet via the modem and Kppp. I think this problem has been mentioned in these forums. Probably will be solved by later versions of pppd.

Anyway, I would rather be able to connect to the internet via modem, than see my laptop hard drive from Linux. I have Win98SE for that.

I know have a second hard drive with 2 Linux partitions, so I may try some other distributions.

TTYL

mors
07-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Same as me then! :)
Just like was mentioned above, I think the 'knoppix like' and debian like' installs are the 'bang your head against the wall' installs!! Just put there as a trick for people who obviously enjoy not having their hardware detected and installed properly! ;)

Mors