PDA

View Full Version : Help on Screen Resolution DVD needed

paintrick
07-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Hey guys!

I finished downloading and burning 4.0

and I must confess, awesome..

Only 1! thing, my screen resolution is @$%#, I didn't had that problem with Knoppix 3.7

Now I installed Knoppix to the HD, and still have the problem,
and I can't change it with the settings,

How can I change it to at least 1024?

thx P

eco2geek
07-20-2005, 10:14 AM
If Knoppix 3.7 gives you the results you want, then the truly lazy way to do it would be to run Knoppix 3.7 from the CD, and copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 it creates to your hard drive (make a backup of the existing one first).

paintrick
07-20-2005, 11:24 PM
This might work, only

in Knoppix 3.9 the problem also exists.
When I try to run K 3.9 and 4 from DVD/CD with fb1024x786
The screen just crashes..

Also I notished that the new versions use XF86free window server, do you think it works?

P

eco2geek
07-22-2005, 08:34 AM
What kind of monitor and video card do you have? (My various computers are pretty plain vanilla; I've only run into one head-scratcher of a problem where X windows would hang when quitting a KDE session and going back to kdm; or switching to a console, on a box that has built-in ATI Rage 128 video. The solution there was to not load the GLX extension.)

Yes, XFree86 works fine, and it's probably more stable than X.org in Debian at this stage. (Not that X.org isn't stable, it's just that it's new to Debian.)

Some commenters I've read on the Kanotix board say that X.org (which is now in Debian Sid) is faster than XFree, and that it supports more graphics cards (and, of course, you can get nifty translucency effects). Other commenters say that some of their games won't run after they install X.org. YMMV.

paintrick
07-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Standard laptop gear,

A LCD screen that can support up to 1400x?
and a standard Intel I8xx video card (on motherboard)

eco2geek
07-22-2005, 10:26 PM
A LCD screen that can support up to 1400x?

Figured. Please try the cheatcodes "fb1024x480 xvrefresh=60", and read this post (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6880) (scroll all the way to the bottom for CrashedAgain's XFree86Config-4 template), which may solve your problem.

PS -- swiping an "XFree86Config-4" that works from the live CD and copying it to your hard disk install should also work.

nickster87
08-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi all!

It seems that I am having the exact same trouble as paintrick. I have tried everything in my power to get the screen resolution to 1024x768 on Knoppix 4.0 DVD. It's driving me mad. I have tried configuring it in kxconfig to no avail, and I have also tried the xvrefresh=60. Nothing works...

It does seem that Knoppix is trying to set my resolution higher, but all I end up with is 800x600, which is way too small for me. When Knoppix boots from the CD, it seems to try to set the resolution but then a blurred image comes up and it continues to boot at 800x600. I am just totally lost. I have searched everywhere to try and figure this out for myself. I am a total Linux noob, but I am loving Knoppix so far. It just stinks that I can't get my resolution higher. I have been at this for a couple days just trying to get my res. higher. PLEASE HELP!!

As for my graphics, I have no video card. The graphics are just integrated. But I know my computer will handle 1024x768 because that's what I use in XP. And once again, I am a noob, so very non-complicated replies would be helpful. I am not embarrassed if you dumb it up for me. :)

Thanks in advance :D

UnderScore
08-04-2005, 12:26 AM
As for my graphics, I have no video card. The graphics are just integrated.Maybe not a card, but you still have a video chip that outputs video.
We will need to know more about your system's hardware. If possible please provide model number.
At the this point when it is booting up
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/376_th/2.gif (http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/376_or/2.png)
It will usually tell you the video hardware or video chip that was detected. That info can help us help you figure out the next step.

nickster87
08-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the fast reply. Hopefully I can have this soon resolved so I can start to really play with Linux.

Okay, here is the info you wanted. On the boot screen, it showed this for the graphics:

Graphics: 82810E CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (i810), using XFree86 (i810) Server

Monitor: IBM19e3 (Horizontal=30-85) (Vertical=50-160)

My Processor is an Intel P3 at 1.0 Mhz, if you need that at all. My monitor is an IBM G78. My IBM PC is Model Number 6280 14U.

If you need any more info, please tell me!

Thanks!

:D

nickster87
08-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Still no results. I popped in an older version of Knoppix (3.2) and I had no problems getting my screen to have a higher resolution.

I am still stuck. :?