PDA

View Full Version : Need some assistance - ntfs rw access

[bk] pollux
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
First off I would like to do two things. 1. I apologize I have seen a lot of posts over gaining rw access to ntfs and have not had any luck figuring it out yet. 2. Thank you ahead of time for any help. :)

This is the issue. I have a winxp sp2 box that has a corrupt file not allowing it to boot. I tried microsafts repair pathways no success. I have a knoppix distro. 3.7. I have used it before to recover files on a crashed winblows pc. However, this time I need to be able to write to the ntfs partition. The winxp box is updated so I had to download the sp1 ntfs files. I did that by clicking the knoppix penguin and using utilities, captive. I have tried using the mount -t captive-ntfs and the mount.captive. I tried unmounting the hda1 first. I tried it with it still mounted from the knoppix boot. I tried mounting as root. I guess the problem is when mounting it, the command line never comes back, like it is still trying to finish the mount or something.

Please make your replies very precise in instruction and try not to take any "simple" step for granted. My colleagues have described me as a guru but that is in a windows/dos environment, I have a lot to learn w/ unix/linux. A good friend of mine has described the best I think I have ever heard it. In farming, you have the combine a complex machine used to harvest a variety of crops. There are two classes of combine users. Drivers and Operators. Drivers get the job done. Operators get the job done and also know the ins and outs of the machine. I am a windows operator but a linux driver (for limited tasks). Thanks again. :D

Harry Kuhman
07-19-2005, 05:18 PM
pollux]... However, this time I need to be able to write to the ntfs partition.....
A forum search (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php?mode=results) and a few obvious key words would have found you this information (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88760#88760) without your having to post and wait for someone to post back.