PDA

View Full Version : Downloaded and made my own boot disk but did i do it right?

delricardo
07-20-2005, 12:47 AM
hi, im new to knoppix-or atleast i would be if i could get the thing to load.
i recently downloaded a copy of knoppix in order to make up my own boot disk and once it was completed i did so, i then continued to change my boot sequence to run from the cd-rom drive- and i pretty sure i did that bit right.
however, when my computer retstarts it still boots from my C drive
i should meantion that i have absolutly no idea what i was doing when i made up the boot disk and so just burned everything that was downloaded onto the disk and left it at that, which is, i would guess, prob part if not all of the pronlem.
if somone could just tell me what is ment to be one the boot disk or whereelse ive gone wrong it would be much appreciated.
thanks
richard

Harry Kuhman
07-20-2005, 01:08 AM
i should meantion that i have absolutly no idea what i was doing when i made up the boot disk and so just burned everything that was downloaded onto the disk and left it at that,
OK, you did it wrong. Very wrong. And I can't even tell from wording like burned everything just how wrong.

See the link marked Documentation near the top of this page? Click it. Then read the Downloading FAQ. Read it all. If there are things that you don't understand, do not just skip past them, they are there for a reason. Bottom line, if you foolishly didn't use BitTorrent you'll need to check the md5 checksum. Don't skip past this. You'll need to burn the ISO file as an image and you'll be much better off if you do the burn at a slow speed.

If there is anything that the FAQ doesn't cover post back and I'll update the FAQ.