PDA

View Full Version : Qtparted & Screen Resolution

Israel
07-20-2005, 06:34 AM
I'm having trouble installing Knoppix and adjusting screen resolution. I've already took qtparted and cleared out 2.5 GB for a partition. (2GB for Knoppix & .5 for Swap) But now I just have a black partition. How do I make it a FAT32? I looked around the controls and couldn't find that.

Screen Resolution is also a problem for me right now. I've tried the cheat code:

knoppix screen=1024x768
...but it produced no results. When I run Knoppix in Virtual Pc it goes directly to 1024x768 though. Of course my goal is to produce a consistant image and hopefully not have to type that cheat code in every single time. Could anyone advise me adjusting the resolution permanately?

EDIT: Ok, I went through some other posts and saw you have to make the partition "mkfs". I know how to do that part, I was just looking for FAT32. After that I just mount that partition and I'm ready to install right???

UnderScore
07-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Knoppix and other Linux distros can not be installed to a partition formatted with the FAT32 filesystem. You must install Knoppix to a ext3 (also known as ext3fs) formatted filesystem. The qtparted GUI has the ability to do this so you do not have to use any commands.

Israel
07-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Ok, I'm still a little new to this. I read a tutorial with qtparted since I last posted. But I still don't understand is the swap, how should that be formated? Just a regular Linux partition? No ext/ or anything like that?

I'm still at a loss for the screen resolution. Can anyone help?

UnderScore
07-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Have you read the HD Install HowTo (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo)? It describes the process & even includes a links to a Flash video walkthrough of a HD install and partitioning using qtparted.

Israel
07-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks Underscore, I had already read through all that before but when I did the flash video did not work. Maybe their server was down for a minute? Anyway... it works now and hopefully that should give me a lot more incite. Thanks!

Anyone got advice about my screen resolution problem?