PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix rescue for Debian?

Quinny
07-20-2005, 10:21 AM
I eventually got Knoppix working, but need a hard disk linux system to install apps on.

Following advice, I've gone to Debian, but hit problems with X. Debian doesn't like my mouse settings!

I am currently using the Knoppix system.

Is there anyway I can copy tte settings (or note them down) and then transfer them to the debian system so X will work?

kirol
07-20-2005, 11:21 AM
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is the file you need to copy. Assuming you're happy with the video auto-detection performed by the live CD, and that your debian HD-install lives on /dev/hdaX, try the following: (1st switch to root console by hitting <Alt-F1>)
# mount /mnt/hdaX
# cd /mnt/hdaX/etc/X11
# mv XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.bkp
# cp /etc/XF86Config-4 .Upon rebooting debian, the copied X11 settings will be active.

fingers99
07-20-2005, 08:30 PM
I eventually got Knoppix working, but need a hard disk linux system to install apps on.

You might have been better (or found life easier) installing Knoppix (or better Kanotix) to HD.

Harry Kuhman
07-20-2005, 09:18 PM
I've gone to Debian, but hit problems with X. Debian doesn't like my mouse settings!...

You might have been better (or found life easier) installing Knoppix (or better Kanotix) to HD.
Fingers99 presents the other point of view favoring installing a live CD. I certainly respect his views and I expect that he is much more knowledgable about Linux than am I. However he has also posted statements like

An apt-get upgrade will almost certainly either fail or break a HD install of Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88898#88898). .... Also, we see plenty of posts like this one today (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20165) about things that work fine from the CD but fail after HD install.

So you can have problems installing Debian and you can have problems installing a Live CD. I still think that installing Debian is the better choice. As to the mouse problem, I've installed with old serial mice, with PS2 mice and with USB mice, all with no mouse problems. The install did suggest that I shoud wiggle the mouse as it was doing the detecting so it could be sure (something that Knoppix has never needed), I did that and all went well.

If you feel you must install from a live CD and as in your case you have at least looked at doing a Debian install, you likely will have better results with Kantonix than Knoppix. Kantonix does seem to be putting some attention to the CD to try to minimize the install problems, Knoppix does not.