PDA

View Full Version : mount nfs is far too slow

ismxray
07-20-2005, 05:09 PM
I installed the debian using knoppix 3.9, but I found it is very slow to mount a nfs disk compared with previous one. What may cause such a problem? Thanks!

foamrotreturns
07-20-2005, 05:49 PM
How slow?

ismxray
07-20-2005, 06:18 PM
More than 10 minutes! Sometime a day!
But for other machine, it takes no time.

Harry Kuhman
07-20-2005, 08:11 PM
My best guess: You burnt the CD at too high of a speed.

ismxray
07-20-2005, 10:08 PM
So confused. The system is already installed successfully. There should have nothing to do with the knoppix 3.9 CD. The speed of the network is normal. Only when mounting the nfs disk, it takes a long time. Are some system services missing?

Harry Kuhman
07-20-2005, 11:55 PM
So confused. The system is already installed successfully. There should have nothing to do with the knoppix 3.9 CD. The speed of the network is normal. Only when mounting the nfs disk, it takes a long time. Are some system services missing?
I guess you also consider it other people fault for not guesing you had "install" knoppix. Why in the world are you posting this in the Networking forum???? So confused!

marcs
07-26-2005, 03:51 PM
I have the same problem with Knoppix 3.9 running from CD: nfs mounts incredibly slow. I burnt a new CD and the problem persists. I started portmap and nfs from init.d and by hand - didn't help. Access control in hosts.deny and hosts.allow is completely disabled (all entries are commented out).

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Arkaein
07-26-2005, 05:57 PM
I guess you also consider it other people fault for not guesing you had "install" knoppix. Why in the world are you posting this in the Networking forum???? So confused!
Harry, I realize that people should generally be a lot more explicit in stating the situation for their problems, but what's the deal with every problem that occurs after a HD install having to go under the HD Install topic? That topic is already the biggest, I don't think it's productive to lump everything possible in their. In addition it's not like their isn't overlap between topics. It's madness to say that an NFS mount isn't at least as much a networking issue as it is an installation issue.

Insisting that the world is wrong and all post HD install issues must go under that topic is nothing but a path to eternal frustration. Accepting that most people would rather post problems under the most specific topic available would create a lot less headaches for you in the long run (and no matter how many people you tell otherwise, forum newbies will continue the behavior).