PDA

View Full Version : Laptop stops at Start X11...

jayceemiller
07-21-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm trying to get some files off of a friend's laptop, Compaq Presario V2000, before I re-image it cause it won't load the Windows XP. I put in the Knoppix 3.8 and it goes through the process, but stops at "Starting X11...". I have tried booting in fb1024x768, fb800x600, expert, and nothing. I have been able to drill down to the files via commands with help of a friend, however when I try to copy the files to the flash drive, the files don't copy. I reboot to get Knoppix to recognize the flash drive (uba1), I use the command cp "filename" /mnt/uba1, and it moves it. When I take the flash drive out and place in another pc - its blank. When I reboot without the flash drive (to make sure I have the write name) it does not show the uba1. I have tried booting in failsafe, but the Hard drive icon does not appear on the desktop, and I am unable to drill to the hda1 directory to get to her files. So if someone can help me with one of the three ways mentioned above so that I can get her files, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. Stops at Starting X11... - how do I get it to continue and load the gui?
2. It appears that I'm not moving the files over to the flashdrive properly via the command lines. What is the correct way?
3. If I boot in failsafe, how can I get to the files and copy them over to the flashdrive?

:roll: :? :!:

rwcitek
07-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Sounds like you may be having two issues: USB issue and a GUI (X11) issue. Let's first tackle the USB issue. Insert your USB stick and boot into text mode using boot: knoppix 3. Are you able to mount your USB stick?

If you need more instructions or help, just post back.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/