PDA

View Full Version : Check root mail

adamherb
07-21-2005, 09:15 PM
When I go into virtual terminal 3 Ctrl+Alt+F3 and log in as root, then I get a message that says root has new mail. How do I check it. Also, I think what the mail is is a log of the sudo use. When I am logged in as a regular user and then try to use sudo, it says I'm not in the sudoers file and its reporting me. How do I make it so that I can use sudo on a hardrive install?

Also What is the command to delete a directory ever if there is something in it?

UnderScore
07-21-2005, 09:36 PM
When I go into virtual terminal 3 Ctrl+Alt+F3 and log in as root, then I get a message that says root has new mail. How do I check it.You should be able to use the command 'mail'. If the system has console mailer like pine you can use that too.

Also What is the command to delete a directory ever if there is something in it?Can be a dangerous command. Use sparingly.
rm -rf /path/to/directory

adamherb
07-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Is pine in the GUI also?

And when it says mail does it mean just that computer?

Also, is there a way that I can make it so that my normal user can use sudo?

Radix
07-29-2005, 03:20 PM
If I recall correctly, pine work only in the terminal. Yes, the mail is only for that computer. (It's a log of everything that happens on THAT computer.) In order to be able to use "sudo", you will need to edit a file called "sudoers" in the /etc/ directory as root, I believe. (Memory isn't too good about that). Just do a "man sudoers" at a terminal for more information on how to edit your log. One more thing, DO NOT GRANT YOURSELF ROOT PRIVILAGES.

root = ALL(ALL) // okay
username = ALL(ALL) // NOT OKAY.

If anyone else wants to correct me, feel free.

Let us know how it goes,

Radix