PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows 98 SE through knoppix

jmac146
07-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi, my harddrive took a major dump on me earlier, so i installed the knoppix OS because windows 98 SE would not start up. I installed Knoppix over the Win98, but now i want to reinstall it. When I put in the WIN98SE CD, it won't execute. I try to execute by right-clicking and going to the file that opens windows programs, but then it will say Windows 98 in one of the tab windows at the bottom, but knoppix will then freeze up. I have to log off and log back in and try again, but with the same results.

I then attempted to install by restarting with the WIN98 CD in, and booting from cd, but it said i had insufficient memory to continue. I am running a Pentium 3 500mhz, 3X128 mb ram with a western digital 30gb hard drive. I do not know why it says i have insufficient memory to install windows 98 se, especially considering i had it installed on it just a few weeks ago and it worked fine till some file messed it up. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

UnderScore
07-22-2005, 07:25 PM
I then attempted to install by restarting with the WIN98 CD in, and booting from cd, but it said i had insufficient memory to continue. Is this error message about insufficient memory referring to system RAM or system HD space? if you installed Knoppix over Win98se, did you use remove the existsing FAT32 parition and/or use the entire HD? If so you will need to repartition the HD before installing Win98Se. You can use Knoppix's qtparted or cfdisk to get rid of the linux partition & create a FAT32 partition. Is the Win98SE CD bootable? If so, does it drop you to a DOS prompt? If so , use the fdisk command to get rid of the linux partition & create a FAT32 partition. Then reboot & boot off the CD again and this time use the command: format C: to format the FAT32 partition. Now that it is formatted you can install Win98SE.