PDA

View Full Version : no sound in games

paradigm_shift
07-23-2005, 01:28 PM
i got sound in gnome and kde but no sound in games like vegastrike.

Cuddles
07-24-2005, 09:49 PM
i got sound in gnome and kde but no sound in games like vegastrike.

Are you running your sound with ALSA? If so, you mention you already get sound, just not in "some", or "certain" games, then, right?

If you are using ALSA for your sound, in other words, what I said above is TRUE, then...

I used to have problems, when two, or more, sounds needed to be played at the same time; this would be like having a "program start" sound, and, a game playing sound at the same moment. The same would be true if you had email sound notification when new mail arrived AND you were playing a DVD. ALSA is pretty powerful, but, comes installed with little "set up" to take advantage of this power...

Again, this all assumes that you have ALSA running, configured, and set up...

What you need is a PLUG in your ALSA MIXER; this would be like a "Y"-cable ( in hardware mixers ) that connects two sources to one. In ALSA ( software ), you would use a file to do this, like so:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
rate 48000
}
}

Copy, and paste the above code into a file called .asoundrc ( there is a DOT in front of that file name ), and place the file in the /home folder of any user, or all users, that want this ability. This little file will tell ALSA that if two sources of sound are playing, to put them to one source of sound, and, in essence, it has worked for me. I can play a game, have email notification sounds, and play a DVD, all with sound.

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles