PDA

View Full Version : after hd install how-to do termianl server

wrexy
04-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Eager to install terminal server after hd install. Has anyone done it yet? Would be much appreciated if experience can be shared. I did the /usr/sbin/knoppix-terminalserver after hd install. But it does not work probably due to the fact that live CD set up is different from hd setup. I have success up to the point of mount nfs. It kept refer to the cdrom drive when it was on live CD .

wrexy

rickenbacherus
04-21-2003, 04:38 AM
Here'a post that might get you there.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1502&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here's a snip fromn another post.
/snip/

Guest NL

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:36 am Post subject: Knoppix with etherboot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do a hdinstall then you end up with a normal Debian config.

The terminal server in the Knoppix CD version is a script with some assumptions of your configuration that are not valid when you run it from harddisk.

One solution is to copy the BIG Knoppix file from the CD to the Windows C:\ directory (if you still have that) in the directory knoppix so the image will be in:
C:\knoppix\knoppix

If you boot from floppy (without the CD) then the image will be found and will be used as if it was the CD. Now start terminal server.

After this boot the diskless client and all will run OK, it is a lot quicker this way. I think this is the best solution for classroom project where more than 5 PC's work diskless.

Good luck and thanks to Dave Bechtel that gave the usefull hints.

aay
05-19-2003, 06:41 AM
rickenbacherus,

Nice Tip. This approach isn't really that differnt though from running the terminal server from the cd (except that it may be faster).

I would like to be able to use the terminal server in a real hd install environment. This will allow me to add apps that aren't on the cd. Has anyone sucessfully done this? I've tried but get nfs errors. I'm really interested in getting this running as part of a genuine hdware install. If anyone has gotten this to work please post some info.