PDA

View Full Version : Permanant cheat codes?

darkhand
07-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi folks, I've got a quick newbie question... I searched through the forums and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask.

I use Knoppix almost exclusively on my work laptop, and my screens strange default resolution dosen't seem to be natively supported. Every time I boot, I always need to enter cheatcodes to change to the proper resolution of 1400x1050, and to set vsync to 60.

How can I ensure that these two codes are set as defaults, so that I don't need to enter them every time?

Thanks in advance!

tdjokic
07-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I think you can put your two codes in /boot/grub/menu.lst under
"kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-kanotix-11 root=/dev/hda1 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce screen=1400x1050 vsync=60 " as this exemple shows, but I am not sure...

ockham23
07-25-2005, 05:56 PM
I assume you run Knoppix from CD, so you cannot simply edit the contents of menu.lst because the file is on CD and read only.

Normally, you would extract the ISO from the CD and modify the contents of the ISO with an ISO editor. But there is also a "dirty" way that I used to create a Kanotix CD with default cheat codes "myconf=scan home=scan vsync=70": I extracted the ISO from the CD using "cp" (cp /dev/cdrom/ [destination] kanotix.iso). Then I opened kanotix.iso with a hex editor, searched for menu.lst (which, fortunately, is not integrated into the compressed Kanotix image) and edited the line of commands that show up on the boot screen. Be careful, though, because you must neither overwrite important lines nor change the file size of menu.lst. When you're done editing kanotix.iso, burn it on CD.

Note: For Knoppix, it's isolinux.cfg that must be edited. But it's the same mechanism.

UnderScore
07-25-2005, 06:27 PM
ockham23 last comment is very correct.
Just search the forums for isolinux.cfg.
I have posted many times on how to permanently turn on cheat codes in the isolinux.cfg file.