PDA

View Full Version : Copying CDs

A. Jorge Garcia
12-27-2002, 08:35 PM
I have a re-mastered CD with Java SDK 1.4.1 installed. I would like to make an ISO copy of it so its easy to burn multiple copies. How would I go about this?

Tech2k
12-28-2002, 05:57 PM
Humm...theres a few ways to do it but try "apt-get install cdrtoaster" and once installed click the button that says "do tricks" :wink:

Breetai
12-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Use mkisofs command.

mkisofs -l -r -J -V "KNOPPIX-with-java" -hide-rr-moved -v \
-b /mnt/kdev/master/KNOPPIX/boot-en.img \
-c /mnt/kdev/master/KNOPPIX/boot.cat \
-o ~/knoppix-java.iso
/mnt/kdev/master

The important thing to note above, is that I am acting like the directory where you have mastered you new KNOPPIX system is in /mnt/kdev/master.

If this is the case, then the following holds true -b is where the boot image files is. -c is where the boot catalog is at. -o is the path/name of where to output the iso image to and the last item with no option before it /mnt/kdev/master is the directory where the files that you want to burn to the CD exist at.

I hope this is helpful.

Also, I would LOVE to get a copy of this CD, or could you tell me what you had to drop to make room for JAVA?

Tech2k
12-28-2002, 06:45 PM
Heres a few things you might want to remove to make room to add your own apps.
kde-i18n* will remove all languages but english and free abour 105meg of hdd space.
xfonts-intl-chinese,japanese and european
asc,rocks-n-diamonds,nethack,freeciv are some of the big games.
either k-office or open office (do you really need both) OO takes about 209meg.
all irc clients except xchat
all cdburner gui apps but for xcdroast.
isdn*
gnome* if you use kde (gnome takes about 76meg)
festival
lyx

Basicly you just go thru the menus and say "do I need this" and apt-get remove whatever.Be sure if you remove some stuff to say "deborphan" and then dpkg -P anything that shows up.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-29-2002, 02:04 AM
Sorry, guys, I think that my post wasn't clear. I do not have the hardware to do my own remastering. A kind soul in the Netherlands heard I needed it done, he did it and sent me his CD in the mail!

Thanx, Andrej, if you're listening. I think he's on the linuxtag forum...

Anyway, I'm wondering how to make an iso copy of this CD so I can make multiple copies to use in class next year which requires Java SDK.

He based his CD on the 10-10-2002 release of KNOPPIX and removed a few packages that I don't seem to be missing too much when I use it! I'm not sure what he removed, but he added sun's Java SDK 1.4.1 to the mix.

Tech2k
12-29-2002, 11:34 AM
Ok here is the secret...dd will work but if you dont want a coaster ALWAYS USE CAT !Also MOUNT the cdrom before making the copy to insure that you dont get extra garbage and the md5 will check good.I will ASSUME that your cdrom is /dev/cdrom and you are working from a hdd install of Knoppix...if so then put in the cd you want to copy to an iso and do this :

$su
enter password
#mount /dev/cdrom
#cd /
#mkdir knx
#cd /knx
#cat /dev/cdrom > jorge.iso
#umount /dev/cdrom

This will leave you with an exact copy of the compact disk in the form of an iso located in the /knx directory that you made on your root with the mkdir command.
as an option if you want to look inside the new iso on the hdd you can do this (still in the knx directory (folder))

#mkdir temp
#mount -o loop jorge.iso /knx/temp
#cd /knx/temp
#ls

You can also open a gui file manager and browse to /knx/temp...when done just :

#cd /knx
#umount temp

[edit] I also posted this to the other forums you asked on :wink:

A. Jorge Garcia
12-29-2002, 06:09 PM
Wow, you're kidding! All I need is cat? I thought there was some long drawn-out process involving dd. Also, cat will copy all the subdirectories on the CD recursively?

This sounds simple. I have one problem, however. The machine with the burner does not have an HDD install of KNOPPIX yet. Can I boot the CD in question and use cat to create an ISO on the DOS HDD? Can't I just remount it for read/write access?

Dave_Bechtel
12-31-2002, 01:29 AM
--You misunderstand. In this usage, ' cat ' is acting like dd, and making a *low-level* copy of the raw disk data. It doesn't know from subdirs.

--If you just want to run Knoppix from HD, mount the CD in windoze and mkdir c:\knoppix, then copy x:\knoppix\knoppix to c:\knoppix\ . Boot from the CD into runmode 2 (boot: ' knoppix 2 ') and dd the boot-en.img file to /dev/fd0.

' dd if=boot-en.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k ' == boot-en.img should be in /cdrom/knoppix/ IIRC, you'll probably have to CD there 1st.

--Once the floppy is finished writing, ' reboot ' and leave the CDR out of the drive. Insert the boot floppy and boot from that. The initrd will find the Knoppix filesystem on C:\knoppix ( /dev/hda1 or whatever) and it will be just like running from the CD. You can't just copy the entire ISO to the HD and mount it r/w because it's a COMPRESSED FILESYSTEM, and iso's are read-only anyway. This is why we have mkisofs.

--Seriously Jorge, I highly recommend picking up a book on Linux Unleashed or something. This is basic-concepts stuff.

Wow, you're kidding! All I need is cat? I thought there was some long drawn-out process involving dd. Also, cat will copy all the subdirectories on the CD recursively?

This sounds simple. I have one problem, however. The machine with the burner does not have an HDD install of KNOPPIX yet. Can I boot the CD in question and use cat to create an ISO on the DOS HDD? Can't I just remount it for read/write access?

Tech2k
12-31-2002, 02:04 AM
Take a look at this site...cat works great for me

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm#_CreatingISO