PDA

View Full Version : Downloading updates for programs

artmoe
07-26-2005, 06:27 AM
I'm a newbie and downloaded, burned and booted up 3.9 today for the first time. Luckily I had no problems. My question is, since I am running a live cd, can I update programs, ie, Firefox from 1.4 to 1.6? Or do I need to have Knoppix 3.9 installed on my hd in order to update programs? Thanks.

paradigm_shift
07-27-2005, 11:52 PM
`apt-get search xxx` command-line tool
`apt-get install xxx`
`apt-get upgrade xxx`
`kpackage` gui frontend

knoppix is based on debbian and apt-get does installing, upgrading and removal of software and keeps all logs in database. first time use you need to update server.list file by doing `apt-get update`.

artmoe
07-28-2005, 01:15 AM
`apt-get install xxx`
`apt-get upgrade xxx`
`kpackage` gui frontend

knoppix is based on debbian and apt-get does installing, upgrading and removal of software and keeps all logs in database. first time use you need to update server.list file by doing `apt-get update`.

Thanks, I'll try that.

paradigm_shift
07-28-2005, 01:27 AM
`apt-get install xxx`
`apt-get upgrade xxx`
`kpackage` gui frontend

Thanks, I'll try that.sorry but mistake it is sources.list and not server.list. i switched to slackware so i don't use it anymore.