PDA

View Full Version : Xine,DVB-s & total newbie

Andy77
07-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Hello this is my very 1st post in any linux forum.
I have successfully installed knoppix 3.9 on hdd. I would like to use my Hauppauge WinTV Nexus-S under Knoppix but came across a few problems. I dont know how to install any 3rd party app though. I tried it with kaffeine following the instructions but failed badly.
Then I came across xine and the dvb button. ok I hit it and it said it cant find a channel-list. 1st thought was "ok lets find a channellist". No prob at all but installing it. although i made the knoppix-partition read/write in its properties i can't write anything to it. the next problem is that i dont know where to copy the channels-conf to, well if i could lol.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me at this point. Either getting xine to work or any other app if xine can't handle dvb-s. Oh and please don't post thousand of links like the dvb wiki or linuxtv one. i've been there but i am helplessly lost.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Andy77
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
After a couple tries and less sleep last night i finally managed to install kaffeine from root shell.Finally understood that installing is much like compiling&executing in a C/C++ Console. The problem now is that i don't fully understand the dvb readme coming along with the installaion files.

This version of kaffeine includes support for DVB.

Requirements :
A DVB device supported by linuxtv drivers.
Look at www.linuxtv.org for how to get, install and run these drivers.
Recent linux distributions should have full DVB support, so your device should be autodetected at boot time.

Install:
You must have dvb headers to compile the dvb part.
Configure search for linux/dvb/frontend.h in standard paths (typically /usr/include)
./configure
make
make install (as root)
YOU MUST INSTALL or it won't work.

Usage:
Kaffeine uses dvbscan data files to find channels from you DVB network.
They are expected to be in :
~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/dvb-s
~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/dvb-t
~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/dvb-c

If these dirs are missing, Kaffeine tries to download a daily updated archive from
http://hftom.free.fr/kaxtv/dvbdata.tar.gz, and extract it. So, you need an internet connection,
at least at first run.

Kaffeine tries to open your dvb device at start time, so make sure no other app are using it.

First , go to menu->DVB->Configure DVB . There, you have to choose a source for your device and configure diseqc (for dvb-s)

Despite the fact that the dvbconfig dialog may show all your dvb devices, only the first one is
used (at that time).

Then go to the channels dialog ( either from the DVB menu or DVB tab ) and start scanning.
Channels are assigned a number when they are added to the channels list.. You can later change it by editing the channel.

To zap to a channel, either double click on the channel name from the DVB tab (after tuning, Kaffeine autoswitch to player tab)
or enter its number with keypad. You can also use pageup/down to zap to previous/next.

Remote control:
kdelirc dcop functions:
dvbSetChannelNumber( int num )
dvbNext()
dvbPrevious()
dvbOSD()

it is the install part above which gives me trouble. The linuxtv driver is already installed though. what does mean "configure search for........." ?
i cant find any configure ,make or make install in above mentioned standard path. there's just the file frontend.h and some others :?

regards
Andy