PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix / Pine / Sendmail ???

kevin05jan
07-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi all,

[Description]
I have installed knoppix3.4 for some time now and customised it a bit with apt-get, thus have now Pine (email client). I tried to fetch my mails from gmx.net but it seems not to work.

[Question]
is this because i have to reconfigure sendmail or other stuff?
is it simply due to pine? i have checked the gmx-pine site and did what they wanted

[Aim]
i really wanna use a console based email client, since i regard it as faster and handier than, e.g. mozilla-thunderbird. Especially i am using solely a ibm tp 600e with only pentium 2.

any advice or suggestions?

kev

UnderScore
07-27-2005, 12:05 AM
I am no email guru. sendmail as far as I can tell is for sending mail. I think you need http://packages.debian.org/stable/mail/fetchmail

fetchmail is a free, full-featured, robust, and well-documented remote mail retrieval and forwarding utility intended to be used over on-demand TCP/IP links (such as SLIP or PPP connections). It retrieves mail from remote mail servers and forwards it to your local (client) machine's delivery system, so it can then be read by normal mail user agents such as mutt, elm, pine, (x)emacs/gnus, or mailx. The fetchmailconf package includes an interactive GUI configurator suitable for end-users. Kerberos IV & V, RPA, OPIE and GSSAPI support are available if the package is recompiled.