PDA

View Full Version : How to recognize and save files to USB JUMP DRIVE

ryhder
07-27-2005, 07:25 PM
I remember reading somewhere that there is a way to load knoppix LiveCD(I have version 3.6) and save files from windows onto a USB Jump Drive... There were a few steps (this is i little foggy so bare with me):

When you connect the USB (after knoppix loads completely) it will recognize the device. However, you will not be able to save files from windows on your USB jump drive until you configure it.... I was wondering if anyone could assist me in this process, as I am looking to use Knoppix as a way to recover lost files due to a crashed hard drive....

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

B@se
07-28-2005, 10:51 AM
The most easy way is to reboot with knoppix and the USB drive attachet, should be atomaticly detected en instantly usable via Konqueror. I personally had some experience with recovoring data from death Windows boxes. I usually burn cd-roms with K3B with all the data wich should be preserved. I always Use knoppix 3.7 for this task cause this booots under 2.4 kernel wich reades out crashed hdds who aren't reachable with kernel 2.6 or any other distro.

Are you capable to reach the docs you want to save? And when you start konqueror is there a sda1 drive attachet (look at the devices section) if there is a sda1 you should be able to get your data kopied to this drive. (iff the usb drive is Fat32 formatted, not NTFS!!!)

Hope you'll be able to get your docs out there.

ryhder
07-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the advice. I do boot with the USB Device and it does recognize it as /dev/sda1. I am able to read and open everything off the device. I can also read and open everything that is on the Windows XP Hard Drive, which is HDA1 & HDA2 (it is partitioned). However, when I try to move/copy files from the Hard Drive I receive an error message "writing to device is not supported".The format for the USB is set to auto in Knoppix but is NTFS formated. The format could be the issue.... but I was wondering if this could also be a permissions issue.... I just remember reading from a source (can't remember which) that their is a way to use Knoppix as a recovery source for a crashed hard drive.

Thanks

arkaine23
08-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Recovering files from a crashed system generally only involves reading. IE, you read what data you can and burn it to a disk, copy it to a network share, or copy to another partition (non-NTFS). It's possible to write to NTFS with Knoppix. Its best with an older version (pre 2.6.11 kernel) and you have to use captive NTFS and do some setting up and manually mount the partition once that's done, then unmount it and give it time to finish writing before shutting down.

Also, it should be simple to reformat the usb pendrive to FAT32 in windows or or vfat in Linux.

steings
08-27-2005, 02:18 PM
The most easy way is to reboot with knoppix and the USB drive attachet, should be atomaticly detected en instantly usable via Konqueror. I personally had some experience with recovoring data from death Windows boxes. I usually burn cd-roms with K3B with all the data wich should be preserved. I always Use knoppix 3.7 for this task cause this booots under 2.4 kernel wich reades out crashed hdds who aren't reachable with kernel 2.6 or any other distro.

Are you capable to reach the docs you want to save? And when you start konqueror is there a sda1 drive attachet (look at the devices section) if there is a sda1 you should be able to get your data kopied to this drive. (iff the usb drive is Fat32 formatted, not NTFS!!!)

Hope you'll be able to get your docs out there.

I'm using 3.6, booted with the USB Drive in place (usb drive is formatted FAT32), Knoppix recognized both HD and Thumb drive.
Every time I try to copy I get an error message that says " could not write to /mnt/sda1/file name ". Is this a permission problem? Let me know, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

steings

ockham23
08-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Try the procedure I suggested in this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20504

Good luck!

steings
08-28-2005, 03:17 AM
All,
I used some of the info you provided and some I found myself. Here is what I've learned about saving files from a NTFS HD to a USB Thumb Drive using Knoppix 3.8.

1. Boot Knoppix 3.8, with Thumb Drive plugged in, using the cheatcodes:
knoppix screen=640x480 atapicd
( I'm doing this on a 350mghtz CPU, 192 Mb RAM, Unknown Graphics on MB, PC )

2. After Knoppix loads, both drives are showing on the desktop, right click on each drive to
make sure it is mounted. There is a small green triangle, on the lower right side of the
drive icon on the desktop, after it is mounted.

3. Right click on the UBA1 Drive ( Thumb Drive ), Left click on Actions, left click on
Change Read/Write mode. A dialog box will open asking if you really want to make this
Drive, in my case /dev/uba1 ( vfat ), writable, click YES.

4. You can now drag & drop files from the HD partition to the Thumb Drive.

I hope my description isn't inappropriate for the Forum, I know the more detailed the steps are always helps me. Thanks for all the help.

steings