PDA

View Full Version : How to recognize and save file to USB JUMP DRIVE

ryhder
07-27-2005, 07:37 PM
I remember reading somewhere that there is a way to load knoppix LiveCD(I have version 3.6) and save files from windows onto a USB Jump Drive... There were a few steps (this is i little foggy so bare with me):

When you connect the USB (after knoppix loads completely) it will recognize the device. However, you will not be able to save files from windows on your USB jump drive until you configure it.... I was wondering if anyone could assist me in this process, as I am looking to use Knoppix as a way to recover lost files due to a crashed hard drive....

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Dave_Bechtel
07-27-2005, 10:39 PM
This may help:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19991&highlight=

--The USB stick should be /dev/sda; the partition should be /dev/sda1.

--Basically you just have to tell /etc/fstab that the owner of /dev/sda1 is knoppix (or your non-root userid: )

/etc/fstab entry:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/whatever vfat defaults,auto,users,suid,uid=knoppix,noexec,noatim e,rw 0 0

--And of course the directory "/mnt/whatever" has to exist.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a way to load knoppix LiveCD(I have version 3.6) and save files from windows onto a USB Jump Drive... There were a few steps (this is i little foggy so bare with me):

When you connect the USB (after knoppix loads completely) it will recognize the device. However, you will not be able to save files from windows on your USB jump drive until you configure it.... I was wondering if anyone could assist me in this process, as I am looking to use Knoppix as a way to recover lost files due to a crashed hard drive....

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

ryhder
07-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. Will try