PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete installation of Knoppix 4.0 DVD to HD

doremi99
07-28-2005, 10:31 AM
I used 'knoppix-installer' to install Knoppix 4.0 from the DVD to my harddisk, as a Debian type of system. When I booted Knoppix from HD, I noticed that the installation is incomplete :cry:. Among others, many man pages, OpenOffice.org and Eclipse were missing. I happened to discover the missing stuff in directory /KNOPPIX2 on the DVD. So, after rebooting from DVD, I copied the contents of that directory (namely folders /usr and /opt) to my HD. Now everything seems to work fine :D (I haven't tried all options yet).

Kanotix or Fabian, could you eventually fix this?

Greetings and thanx for your work!

UnderScore
07-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Practically all of us here are not Knoppix developers or Knoppix beta-testers but are just community volunteers. Your idea to fix the installer sounds good. Some of the developers do visit the forums but you can contact the Knoppix developers at their mailing list at http://sympa.linuxtag.net/wws. You can also add your experience with the Installer bug to the bug list at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/4.0 and maybe you could document your fix.

DelphiDude
08-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Same here. Installed 4.0 to hd and was giving it a spin and then discovered that the man pages are totally missing. Even though an apt-get install manpages reports that the latest version is installed.

Man pages work on the live CD.

DelphiDude

ast64
08-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi,

I've got the same man-pages problem with knoppix-installer. I solved it by copying the /usr/share/man directory from a knoppix 3.7 installation on my 2nd HDD to my new installed knoppix 4.0.

Greetings --
Andreas

larice2000
08-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I tried with kanotix-installer but the installation stalled during the file copying process.
With the Knoppix-installer the installation was finished but the directory /opt and the whole OpenOffice was missing.
I tried to install OpenOffice from the web site with the dedicated installer. The first user installation was o.k. but installing the second user the Xserver was so severely damaged that I was not able to repair it.
After installing Knoppix 4.0 again the same scenario.
The start disk produced during the installing process never worked I had to edit the lilo.conf and start lilo manually.
I think the start disk cannot overcome the 10xx cylinder-problem.
After the a. m. setbacks I installed again Knoppix 3.8 and all things are fine.